First Smallie!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMDave

Reaction score
Although my name is SMDave, I have never caught a SM (smallmouth) before, until today. Thanks to esquired, I went to the Delware river at Washington's Crossing (about 1 mile north of the bridge, after all the private property and private river access, the road changes into a narrower, laneless road with more trees) and we parked on the side of the road, walked down the boat ramp, and walked to the left where there is a rock peninsula jetty looking thing (although it's not a jetty). There I tied on a chart/white buzzbait at about 2:00 and fished that for about 30 minutes without a bite. Then, I switched to a Mann's Baby 1-Minus in a shad pattern. No bite. Then, using my last jighead (3/8 or 3/16 oz, can't remember) a Bite-Me jighead with a 3/0 Gammy hook, I used a 4" zoom green pumpkin tube. I was expecting something, but nothing. Hmph? Then I tied on one of esquired's smoke tubes and fished that. About 10 minutes fishing that, I hooked a smallie after he had hit it twice. Man these things fight hard! He was about 1 or 1.5 pounds, around 12", but he sure put up a fight and was very fun. My first smallie! I had to get a pic. I told my dad to take out the camera, only to find there was no memory card!!! :x :x :x So you will have to take my word that I caught my first smallie today on esquired's tube bait, and he was about 1 lb. This bait is great! I haven't had a chance to try out his senkos or flukes yet. I am probably heading back there next saturday to try out my luck again. Esquired, I texted that number you gave me, but no reply? Maybe it's your house phone. Anyway, next time I'll give you a call, not a text. My setup: Shimano Convergence 6'6" medium spinning rod, Okuma Stratus SGT-30 spinning reel, 10lb. Berkley Trilene clear fluoro. I used that setup with everything except for the buzzbait, which I used my Extreme Baitcast reel with a 6'6" medium Extreme rod and 30lb. power pro. Thanks again esquired! And I am never going back to Carnegie in Princeton for largies. Only the DE for smallies from now on. The river was crystal clear even though it rained the night before, and was really warm. Lake Carnegie always is muddy, and you can see maybe 6" of visibilty. I am also never fishing another largemouth hole ever again! Smallmouths in rivers rule!!!! :D Sorry I didn't get a picture. I will be sure to bring the memory card this upcoming Saturday.

Way to go - sorry I missed your message I was also fishing the Big D today - we ended up with a mess of Smallies

You made my day with your bait selections :D

Here are two pics from my day - my buddy has not fished River Smallies in 20 years and he had a stellar day!

Docwatson_002.jpg

Docwatson_001.jpg

Latest posts