First start..Motor sitting for a few years

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgeddes

Reaction score
A friend recently gave me a screaming deal on a late 90s (I think) 8hp Nissan outboard. The motor was used on a sailboat, making it a very low hour unit. It has been off any boat for a few years but I was told and offered my money back if otherwise, it runs like a champ. Knowing it has been dry for years, what maintenance or tasks should I do prior to starting to ensure no damage and the best chance for a good start?

PS: I'm a sailboater at heart and don't post much here but love reading the ingenious modifications and inventions of the talented and creative members on this site. The concept of building a boat best suited for the individual using sweat and common sense versus a huge bank roll is right up my alley.

I would say a new impeller is a must before even trying to start it. You don't want it breaking apart and having little pieces make their way into the water passages.

Okay....I know this is going to hurt since you sailboat guys think that since wind is free everything else should be as well.......Yes, am teasing. By all means an impeller, grease every fitting, change gear lube and monitor it for the first few outings. If it runs well thats great. I would use alcohol free gasoline and do not let it go bad,,,,,if it does do not try and run it and do not pour fresh gas on top of the old junk. So, put on your Tilley Hat and get busy!

I agree with the above .... change the impeller and the lower unit oil. Also, make SURE you have fresh gas and a good clean tank/hose set-up.

You might also want to look over the fuel hoses under the cover to make sure they aren't cracked.

Also take a look at the plugs and wires to make sure they look decent.

If all that looks good, pull the cord and see what happens.

My buddy has the same motor.. Paid $200 for it and it needed nothing!! Trolls excellent and runs good pushing a 14ft.. Like others said, change the impeller and run Ethenol free fuel, other than that, it should be good to go.

Impeller and lower unit oil, will do. I'll give the rubber parts a double check too.

Now, ethanol-free fuel. Not sure I know where to get it. I was in FL earlier this month and they had "Rec. Gas" but I am not even sure it is available here in PA. Fuel adders are available to off-set the ethanol, and I use it in all the other fuel in the garage.

For the record, this motor is actually a bit big for my sailboat so it will probably live on the back of a tinny once a suitable one is located.

Nothing offsets the harmful effects of ethanol on all rubber components in your fuel systems. You can see if there are any stations near you by looking here www.pure-gas.org or by word of mouth (lawn professionals love non ethanol fuel) or any on water marina that sells gas will or should have it.

Both gas stations in the port of Racine sell the reformulated crap. It's a pain pulling out the bigger boat just to get gas. If I fill up there, I end up with water in the gas problems.

Latest posts