First tin boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilduck1023

Reaction score
Received a 12 ft monark from a coworker of mine for free. Planed on doin a lil duck hunting out of it till I found tin boats. Now it has to be customized to what I want.

Decided on a game plan if you can understand its pretty simple 2 seats, platform for my Brittany spaniel and gun and shell racs. Under dog platform storage for decoys
Removing benches to get a better picture for what I want. Ill post pics as I go each week I only get to work on it a few hours a week but ill get it done. You back ground comes for custom cars and trucks in shops and for fun and building trailers at my dads shop when he was still with us. I plan on building a trailer also. This project will be completed my my wife and I we been lookin to do some thing together.

Thanks for all the inspiration I have gat from other people's builds.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 2,248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 2,248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 2,248
Hey, pretty nice: free, it floats, and it was delivered to you!! Welcome aboard. If you search these pages you will find lots of ideas. And if you post questions, you'll find some very helpful and empathetic answers. Glad you are here.
Rick

Nice boat.
We need more duck boats on here are you going to be putting a blind on it?
Did you get the title?

Good to see another duck hunter on here! Mine will be use for some of it to. I dont know anything about V hulls but be careful taking out the benches because it will weaken the sides of the boat.

Well I plan on removing all benches if possible and makin some c channel braces that will hold the deck floor and use the Shrinker stretcher to make the contour and go up the sides to reinforce the sides of the boat. I do want to put a blind on it the plans are to build it out of 1in round aluminum and contouring it to the boat sides. Not sure what I will do after that right now. As In camo stuff but it should pull up and come together I the front to totally conceal the doge itch a slit for him to look out of.

Is there a way to figure out what year and motor size it is I have no title yet he's trying to find it.if not i believe can file for lost title?

Been working early mornings and have not had any time to work on my tin. But I was able to sneek in about a hour two nights ago and cut a peice of wood to get a general idea of my front deck. Questio I'm wondering is should decking be flush with top of the boat or down a few inches? My decks not for standing human but my Brittany spaniel he's close to 50 lbs. I was thinkg a few in down for safety but him jumping out was my concern with him tripping after a blind is installed.

Any one ealse deck a boat for there dog.

Deck is 32 in long

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,144
lilduck1023 said:
Been working early mornings and have not had any time to work on my tin. But I was able to sneek in about a hour two nights ago and cut a peice of wood to get a general idea of my front deck. Questio I'm wondering is should decking be flush with top of the boat or down a few inches? My decks not for standing human but my Brittany spaniel he's close to 50 lbs. I was thinkg a few in down for safety but him jumping out was my concern with him tripping after a blind is installed.

Deck is 32 in long

id put it about a foot or so below the gunwales that way ur dog dont have to jump that high to get up there and still be able to jump out easily. if that dogs hunted before hes not gonna trip getting out to get a duck.....how olds the dog? never heard of or seen a brittany used for waterfowl,i bet hed love chasing roosters or quail!

Dogs about 6 years old he is a hand full at times hunting water foul but for some reason if there's a gun in my hand he wants to go duck quail dove any thing he has been game for. And he has only hunted from shore never from a boat. Probley going to take Him out for some practice o my buddy 14 ft flat bottom.

lilduck1023 said:

Deck is 32 in long
I have a small deck on my duck boat for the dog. There is 12 gallon fuel tank is under it.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.JPG
    IMG_5424.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,076
  • IMG_5426.JPG
    IMG_5426.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,076
I was going to make it storage for all my decoys but I guess fuel in the fron makes more sence. Guess finding a motor is a little higher on my priority list now I'm looking for like a 7 to 10 hp and then ill have to see how much fuel I need on board I have a plastic 6 gal tank at home that may work. Do you need like a extra fuel pump to travel that distance from front to back of the boat on A outboard

lilduck1023 said:
I was going to make it storage for all my decoys but I guess fuel in the fron makes more sence. Guess finding a motor is a little higher on my priority list now I'm looking for like a 7 to 10 hp and then ill have to see how much fuel I need on board I have a plastic 6 gal tank at home that may work. Do you need like a extra fuel pump to travel that distance from front to back of the boat on A outboard
The motor pulls the fuel fine. The reason I have a 12 gallon tank is to balance out the 25 hp motor and for weight up front to help break ice.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The reason I have a 12 gallon tank is to balance out the 25 hp motor and for weight up front to help break ice.
That's what you take a buddy for, it lets them earn their passage. :lol: :lol:

That's what you take a buddy for, it lets them earn their passage.

**** that's why my buddy's ask me to go good thing I live in Texas don't get to much ice but decoy guy I get stuck with

JMichael said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The reason I have a 12 gallon tank is to balance out the 25 hp motor and for weight up front to help break ice.
That's what you take a buddy for, it lets them earn their passage. :lol: :lol:
He has a very well trained black lab.

Good job it is looking pretty good. Here is a working duck hunting boat. I did this to a standard 12' mirro-craft and shot several ducks this past fall. The interior finish is truck bed liner over plywood. It sits in the water and is comfortable for two adults, any more would be pushing it. I hunt the shoreline of Saginaw Bay and had a great year. Good huntin' and keep your head down, those darn ducks are pretty smart sometimes. That’s O.K. I shoot the dumb ones.

Attachments

• boat (1).JPG
    boat (1).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 585
Well guys as crazy as it sounds but snow here in north Texas has kept me from working on my duck boat but the day wife let me stop doin inside chores I came across a 14 ft flat botto on face book I traded a single shot 12 gauge for it and the trailer. I really only wanted the trailer but gat me a new boat so ill be working on my duck boat again soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 559
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 559

Latest posts