Fishermarine 16' project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderheart

Reaction score
Yo Tin Boaters,

Just found the site and wow ... very cool. Anyway, about 2 years ago I bought a Fishermarine 16 foot "Something" Runner. It isn't a "Marsh" Runner. Has the square bow. "River" Runner maybe? Considering it is an '86 model it was in excellent condition. I got the boat/motor/trailer etc for $1800. Had an old Hummingbird flasher and an Eagle LCD CR. Also a brand new spare prop for the Evenrude 30 which purrs like a kitten and sips gas. Gave the guy an extra $200 for a 55 lb Minnkota he had there as well. I've fished it since with no problems. However, my experience with the boat has me wanting to make some minor modifications. Here are a couple of pictures to help illustrate:

https://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/thunderhearts_bucket/20080216Boating0019.jpg
https://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/thunderhearts_bucket/100_0660.jpg
https://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/thunderhearts_bucket/100_0658.jpg
https://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/thunderhearts_bucket/100_0659.jpg

Issue #1: Livewell location / Starboard list

As you can see from the first picture, I'm not exactly a 90 lb. ballerina. If you look at the second shot, you'll see just in front of the console a box with a carpeted top. This box contains a cooler rigged as a livewell which isn't in very good shape. With me, the livewell, and the cranking battery on the starboard side, I get a pronounced list. With a partner (like my wife) in the boat it isn't a problem but alone ... not so good. Also, anybody in the stern has a hard time gettin' a fish into the livewell without alot of extra effort.

Issue #2: Forward deck too small

My legs are pretty long and I need a little more room up front. Also, I think if the seat post was a little further back, the boat would be a little more stable.

Issue #3: Trolling motor mount needs re-enforcement.

The OEM trolling motor (a Johnson) has got to go. Old, loud, inefficient and weak. The mounting box is a little decrepit as you can see from the third picture. The fourth shot shows the 12V, 55 lb. thrust MinnKota I want to mount on it. The mounting shoe on this motor is larger than the OEM so it will stick out a little but I think it will work.

So what I have in mind is this:

Modification #1: Remove existing livewell and extend front deck back toward console. Add small prefab livewell athwartships under this new decking and move the seat post back about 6"

Modification #2: Add a livewell in the stern deck on the port side behind the passenger side underway seat. Or maybe a 2-compartment that can be counter-flooded for better port-side ballasting.

Modification #3: Use a durafix rod to braze small cracks in the trolling motor box and then re-enforce with some aluminum angle strips

Other: Use durafix to fill some cosmetic holes from old mounting brackets etc. Re-wire the electronics (done most of this) with new switch panels. Blast the trailer and repaint it. Replace the carpet on the bunks.

Any comments / encouragement (especially encouragement!) would be appreciated. I'm wanna make this thing a Crappie Killing Machine and I have given up on the green carp for good.

Dallas

hey i have the same boat but mine is a 1979 model...im building front deck and back decks in it...one question...can i get better pics of the console...and dimensions for it to please...such as width, how tall is it, how deep it it?...ill help you in anyway i can since we have the same boats

Sure, I'll be glad to get that together for ya. In fact, my wife and I went down to where I keep the boat today and took tons of pictures of everything from all different angles. Then when we got back she promptly erased them all #-o Oh well. We had a nice drive in the county and have a good excuse to do it again!

It may be a day or two before I get back out there. I had to move the boat to a storage facility down by the lake so that my wife could move her fish breeding business into the garage. The boat didn't fit in there too good anyway

Which brings up another mod I wanna make. Is there a removable hitch I can get so that I can shorten the trailer for storage and also add a layer of security against theft?

Dallas

I dont know about a removable hitch (short of unbolting it), but Im in the process of adding a Fulton Swing-Away tongue to mine. I didnt absolutely have to have the swing-away function to shorten the trailer (although it is a very nice feature), but I needed to extend my trailer about 20 inches and it does exactly that.

The fulton swing away allows you to swing about 21 inches of the tongue back on itself thus allowing the trailer/boat to fit in a tighter storage area.

Latest posts