Fishing seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
russ010 said:
redbug said:
one thing to think about if you question your safety in the hands of a chiropractor ask him how much his malpractice insurance cost him. Mine pays only 2k a year then ask your family doctor what his cost him?

I'm an underwriter so I know how much this stuff costs... but, if I'm paralyzed or worse, who cares how much malpractice he's got. I can't enjoy it.
Missed the point by a mile.
They do not have high premiums because the are very safe and cause no harm.
my pain was so bad i felt paralyzed couldn't move for days.

No, I understood what you were saying. It's just the way he held my head when he popped my neck - just not something I was very fond of!

I had lower back pain once and the guy said he was going to massage my striadic nerve (this is military)... I almost crapped my pants when he did it. The pain is in your lower back, but he massages around the lower part of your stomach and had push hard to get a deep tissue massage... I hope no one ever has to go through that, but just for safe measure I use the bathroom before I go to any dr now!

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=perf-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334-cat21334&id=0055309019787a&navCount=3&podId=0055309&parentId=cat21334&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true Ive got this one Russ and could not be more pleased, oyeh iam 6'5" 325 with a bad back and can fish comfortable all day! Some what of a reasonable price too.

that is the first seat I looked at, but I wasn't sure after reading the 1 and only review on there.

I have a few questions about it though:

1 - Does it fold down?
2 - Can you lean back in it, or is it a true 90 degree seat and doesn't give any?

Well, no Attwood Centrix seats at BPS Nashville :( . Did see some Tempress seats that looked comfortable, but didn'"test" 'em. They really need to re-do that section (boat seats) of the store, as I didn't see a real decent selection of styles. Also didn't see hardly any sales people around to ask questions of. Checked-out their stock of the Carrot Stix. They had about 5-6 rods left, mostly the 7'2" Drop Shot models, and a couple of the 6'7" LTX spinning model like I have. Looks like they've sold a few out of that particular section dedicated to the Carrots. Came home with 2 prs of pants, a sweater, and the wife got a new pair of earrings. Had lunch at TGI Friday's in the mall. The trip did prove to be my first real test of the Garmin nuvi I got for Christmas. I'm pretty dang pleased with it! Turns and directions were spot-on! 8) . Next time I'm in Louisville I may have to cross the river and visit the Clarksville, IN. BPS to look for the Centrix seats. Bigger store, and during my other visits there you can usually find a salesperson to help you.

russ010 said:
Anybody had any experience with these types of seats for their boats? I've got one of those $40 Wise deluxe plastic jobs from BPS and it's really starting to wreak havoc on my lower back, so it's time I upgrade a little since I've gotten to where I do most of my fishing sitting down in my jon..

I've been looking at this one Centric Boat Seat. I like it, but the cheapest I've found so far is $145 including shipping.. but I'm down in my back right now, and I would pay double that to relieve this pain

Russ,

What did finally decide on for a new seat, or have you? Nice to know not to waste my money on the Wise deluxe seat. The Tempress seats seem to be calling my name at the moment.

Wonder what the boat equivalent to the bait monkey is?

-- Poolie

honestly, ever since I installed that new pedestal pole seat mount, my back hasn't bothered me anymore. I went to BPS not too long ago and tried out some of those Tempress seats.. I set them in the floor then sat down - the only thing I didn't like (and all seats like this may be this way) is that they are almost at 90 degree angles and there wasn't much give. I found some seats that I really liked the other day and I lost the stupid link.. they were similar to the centric boat seats - but they were half price on clearance. I should have bought them, but I wanted to try out these wise deluxe a little more and I"m not really as disappointed anymore since changing bases.

russ010 said:
honestly, ever since I installed that new pedestal pole seat mount, my back hasn't bothered me anymore. I went to BPS not too long ago and tried out some of those Tempress seats.. I set them in the floor then sat down - the only thing I didn't like (and all seats like this may be this way) is that they are almost at 90 degree angles and there wasn't much give. I found some seats that I really liked the other day and I lost the stupid link.. they were similar to the centric boat seats - but they were half price on clearance. I should have bought them, but I wanted to try out these wise deluxe a little more and I"m not really as disappointed anymore since changing bases.

Do you think it is the pedestal or the fact that its the offset pedelstal that makes it more comfortable?

I think it's the offset pedestal... I can move around in any direction and being offset gives me a lot more leverage.... I haven't sat on these seats with a straight pedestal, but the next time I go fishing with bassboy, I'm going to take my seat and pedestal and try it, then use his straight pedestal to see any difference

I would think the offset pedestel would have some natural lean to it, that would help with the comfort as you could be reclining a bit even with a straight back chair.

At any rate I am following this one closely as I had surgury on my back in 01' and it has never been nor will it ever be the same. By the end of last season I stopped fishing totally due to the pain. I have been spending the winter finding ways to make fishing easier. #1 got rid of the hard to start 25HP Johnson....ok I had help when the impeller clogged and i burned it out. #2 I got some hip boots to make launching/retrieving it easier. #3 Foot controlled trolling motor, next two steps will be getting an on board charging setup in place (so no lugging of heavy batteries) and a more comfortable seat. I am on the verge of disability so if I don't get this right my fishing is over.

By all means please let me know how the new chair works out for ya.

no prob man... I'll let you know how it works out.

What size boat do you have by the way? length and floor width

I have a 14' Sea Nymph V by Lowe. It is probably the 1998 equivilent of this. https://www.iboats.com/Lowe_Boats_sea_nymph_1467/nb/moi87873?zip=19124

I think that offset would work great for you in that boat.. I couldn't believe how much it helped my back after fishing all day long. I could lean back in the seat and stretch out, and when I sat fishing I was almost always reclining because of the offset - not to mention that it let me spread my legs out infront of me. Before I had to throw my legs over the side of the boat. Now they hit the sides, but I can use that to push me into the seat and lean back to stretch.

I have these in camo in my boat: https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0024131016444a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=tempress&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

They are pretty comfy and have caused me no back discomfort.

Quackrstackr said:
I have these in camo in my boat: https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0024131016444a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=tempress&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

They are pretty comfy and have caused me no back discomfort.

I looked at those seats... Those are actually second on my list, but I may be in the market for a new boat and might have to put the seats on a backburner for now

Here is a picture of the "cockpit" of the boat if it helps in your reccomendations.

troller4.jpg

russ010 said:
I think that offset would work great for you in that boat.. I couldn't believe how much it helped my back after fishing all day long. I could lean back in the seat and stretch out, and when I sat fishing I was almost always reclining because of the offset - not to mention that it let me spread my legs out infront of me. Before I had to throw my legs over the side of the boat. Now they hit the sides, but I can use that to push me into the seat and lean back to stretch.

So do you think it's really the offset pedestal, or is it just that like the rest of us you took a slab in the dark about where to originally mount the pedestal and that the offset is just buying you back some leg room because the seat was too close to the front of the boat?

Like bAckpAiN, my back isn't what it used to be after a few too many motorcycle wrecks so if I get nothing else right on my new boat I need a comfortable seat... getting older stinks :)

This kind of reminds me of my younger days when I played with muscle cars. Most of the time you just had to make it up as you go.

-- Poolie