Fix em?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun

Reaction score
Evinrude 25302 1973 25hp and a Johnson j4rdhleod 4hp deluxe. Any one got any experience with either one of these? Are they worth putting money into? tuning tips? any info is appreciated thankx six gun

I have a 1975 johnson 25 hp & it never left me stranded.The only thing I didn't like is the shear pin prop.If it has good compression (120 or better)its worth saving.Pretty simple motor.

Both of them are solid motors that will last forever. Depending on what it needs, the 25 may not be worth fixing to resell for a profit (nothing special about it, and they are readily available), but if you want to keep it to use it, likely will be worthwhile. Very simple, straightforward and reliable design.

The 4 is definitely worth putting money into. Depending on what it needs, it may not be worth enough for a profit (a motor this small is only worth so much, but this one would still be worth about the same as the 25), but it is an excellent motor. Really one of the best, if not the best small outboard made. If you decide not to keep it, do get in touch with me.

Thanks for the answers. I'm keeping them both.Problem is both are long shafts and I got a short transom.The 25 runs but the engine runs away with out giving it throttle. carb kit? The 4 horse looks real clean but the gear case is all dismantled.I think i got all the parts. aint never heard it run tho.How much is involved in making into a short shaft or should I just build up the transom? I have to rebuild it anyway.see pics in my other post. any top heavy issues mounting engines 5" higher? Thanks sixgun

sixgun said:
Thanks for the answers. I'm keeping them both.Problem is both are long shafts and I got a short transom.The 25 runs but the engine runs away with out giving it throttle. carb kit? The 4 horse looks real clean but the gear case is all dismantled.I think i got all the parts. aint never heard it run tho.How much is involved in making into a short shaft or should I just build up the transom? I have to rebuild it anyway.see pics in my other post. any top heavy issues mounting engines 5" higher? Thanks sixgun

Make a jack plate. It's cheaper and easier than converting the motor.
Here's an example...
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10823&hilit=%24500

Latest posts