Foot pedal or Copilot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvmedic

Reaction score
I have a Minkota powerdrive and want to put it on my 14' Tin V-bottom Lowe.

I got it free without controls and I'm trying to decide whether to go with the foot control or the CoPilot.

I've never used a bow mount motor so I'm not sure which would be the best option, I do have a 55# transom mount now. Though it can be a bit of a pain running it beside the 9.9 gas motor.

I will mainly be using it to troll for Walleye and to slip into places for Crappie, I'm not a Bass fisher so I won't typically be trolling and casting.

If you could give some input on either one and why it would be your choice, I would be very thankful.

Jeff

I have the I-pilot. Honestly, I wished I simply got the co-pilot instead. I don't ever use any of the GPS features. I love using the compass to point the motor in a direction and just let it go. It really compensates for wind and drift nicely that way.

It's also nice to be able to clip the remote to me and use it any where in the boat.

Good luck!

Get the autopilot, used ones are pretty cheap, $50-100 and well worth it if in good shape. Will be hugh aid when trolling for 'eyes, and you can even troll for crappie as well with it.

I have a minn Kota PDV2 55# bow mount with the foot control and I will be adding the co-pilot when money allows.. I just find the foot pedal cumbersome as it steers too fast. Often when I'm trolling I sit at the back and use my hands on the foot pedals ( it has an 18' cord) or steer with the main engine if it's not too windy.

It is possible, but you need to replace the control board with the V2 version. That's what I did with mine. I found an older V1 PowerDrive unit on Craigslist with a bad control board. Then bought the I-Pilot and a new V2 control board to replace it. I think I needed to grind down one of the mounting bosses and then replace a couple of terminals on the wiring.

Here are a couple of links to others who have done it:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175029
https://www.crappie.com/crappie/south-carolina/155192-pilot-installed-model-powerdrive-first-version-2007-a/

Good luck!