force outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botchco

Reaction score
so I'm lookin at a used boat and it has 35hp force outboard motor... looking for opinions on this engine any knowledge would be great.

Sadly I find their electrical components, especially their CDI ignition module, to be problematic at best ... as in kne day it works and the next day it won’t. VERY frustrating ...

When it ran, it was otherwise flawless! All this translates to “only buy the boat at a price where you can replace the motor without getting soaked” ...

Force had a bad reputation, I think they were Chrysler build. I can't say I've ever heard anything good about them. I'd buy the package but minus the fact that a motor comes with it. If the guy baulks, show him you're serious by telling him he can keep the engine.

Crazyboat said:
Force had a bad reputation, I think they were Chrysler build. I can't say I've ever heard anything good about them. I'd buy the package but minus the fact that a motor comes with it. If the guy baulks, show him you're serious by telling him he can keep the engine.
Agreed.
Put a $0 value on the motor.. even if it does run, once it breaks down it will be hard to find parts for.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Force had motors made by Chrysler and then later on by Mercury.

Run (not walk or crawl) from anything that's powered by a Force outboard. We called them "Farce"....and for very good reason. Unreliable is a HUGE understatement.

If you can get the rig for the right price, get it, remove motor and throw it off the bridge, and repower the boat with a Yamaha. Really anything but a Farce, I guess what I'm saying is that ANY motor is better than Farce I mean Force. Mercury is ok but after working on a few lately, I'd certainly not buy one. Guess I got spoiled with Yamaha.

I wouldn't put a zero dollar value on a Force. I'd take about $50 to own one. Yes I mean you'd have to pay me $50 (minimum) to take one and that would cover the cost of fuel to haul it to the scrap metal recycler.

Finding parts will be a problem. And yes eventually you will need them!

I wasted a bunch on money on a Force a few years back. It ran good but had intermittent misfires. I replaced a faulty CDI and thought all was good but still had other problems. Ended up replacing the stator as well. Fixed the misfire but it had numerous other problems so I parted ways. I could have easily sunk thousands into it and even then I'm not sure it would be 100% reliable.

As others said, I'd value it at $0 in the boat package. If it's still a good deal, and you get the motor "free" with the boat maybe look into parting it out on ebay or something.