Frogs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcritch

Reaction score
I've been checking out the selection of Frogs lately and I like what I've seen. I was at Dick's today getting some Xmas presents for my GF and I had to go over to the fishing section to check things out. I found some Mann's Hard Nose Toads & the Yum Buzzfrog. They both looked pretty good. Has anyone had any success with either of these baits?

I have tried the yum frog and caught some fish but not as many as I have on the gambler ribbit The rabbit is my favorite frog
Never tried the hard nose either

Wayne

I tried the Mann's Hardnose Toads this past season. A friend and I fished a lake that had major lily pads but didn't stir anything up. He was using a different brand frog (can't recall name). I've also never caught anything on Mann's hardnose lizards either.
headscratch_shrug_smilie.gif

Fishin NJ said:
You throw one of them around down that shallow end of oak, in the flats and you will see some action come spring time. :D

I know them flats well :wink:

I want to really get into using some different frogs starting in the spring.

Mr. bcritch, Spro makes a good frog, threw one into the slop of
parvin right after the swimming beach and it didnt get hung up, only got a little look see from another frog.

I have never used the Yum frog, but I have used many others; zoom, berkley, culprit, and others. My favorite soft plastic frog is the Sizmic toad. They are part of the uncle josh company and are a deal for the amount of frogs you get. I have seen the yum frogs, but never tried them. They look like they have too much plastic to be able to get a good hookset. While soft plastic buzzfrogs are great, I also use a lot of standard topwater frogs. My favorites are the spro bronzeye frog and the reaction innovations swamp donkey. The swamp donkey is lighter than the standard bronzeye, which doesn't overload a lighter rod. They both have gamakatsu hooks and are very durable. I love frogs, they are by far my favorite bait to use.

jkbirocz said:
I While soft plastic buzzfrogs are great, I also use a lot of standard topwater frogs.

Me too. Both styles of lure have their time and place, but I much prefer the hollow floaters. Spros and Basiriskys are my favorite.

I usually get more hits on a solid body frog (Hardnose, Horny Toad...) but have better hookups on a hollow body. I caught my biggest bass on a Mann's Super Frog (NOT hardnose) and usually catch every fish I set the hook into with that bait. I have caught a lot of fish on both Zoom Horny Toads and Mann's Hardnose Toads; My hookups are better with the hardnose but the Horny toads are more available around here. Usually, white draws the most hits. Also, If you hook the bait so it has a slight concave bend in it, you can walk the dog underwater if you let the bait sink. I also bought a Furbit the frog, used it once at night and had a good fish throw the bait out of the water and haven't had a chance to use it again because of the weather. What I'm hoping for is that the PC Baits frog will outfish all frogs I use

I've heard the Yum's flip on the back a lot on the retrieve, and one of the only options is to use a weighted hook. No thanks! I like Zoom Horny Toads and the Stanley Bull Ribbit thing... I like white or junebug/chart legs for the horny toad, for the Stanley, it's a weird color like watermelon red/pearl. Also, watermelon/orange swirl (or something like that) does well too. I fish them weightless on a Zoom Horny Toad hook.

Pads, grassbeds, woods, foating grass(my favorite), and everything else. Don't think that you need cover to fish frogs. I have caught many in open water too. For the soft plastic buzz frogs, just think of them as a much more natural buzzbait. The best part about them is you can fish them through the entire water column and be successful.

All this wintertime frog fishing talk is driving me crazy! I can't wait until next summer. Here are a few frog fishin pics from last year. Not the greatest quality pics but they get me in the mood for froggin. Many more pics to come next year :)

Attachments

• frogbass2.jpg
    frogbass2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 743
  • frogbass3.jpg
    frogbass3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 743
  • frogbass4.jpg
    frogbass4.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 743
  • frogbass.jpg
    frogbass.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 743
STOP! I cannot take it anymore, frogging is a blast (literally the Bass blast out of the water sometimes)

It will be many moons until I can use a frog

I HATE WINTER!

Latest posts