Front deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasprite

Reaction score
I started my restoration of my Sea Sprite1850 Jon boat with a 50 horse jet. Of coarse there's more wrong with it than planned. I plan on moving the batteries towards the bow. As a typical Jon boat the keel curves up towards to bow, so the front 38 inches(floor)are not flat. I plan on decking it and putting the batteries under the decking using hatches for access. My question is should I put the batteries in the middle (side by side) or one on port and starboard? Or is isn't there any difference.
Even with the keel at 50 inches at the stern, where the bottom curves up, its at 48 inches, If i stand on the forward deck at the bow it is a touch unstable. Nothing that would capsize it. Is that normal for a Jon? Would adding the battery weight (no weight up front) make it more stable? All the weight, batteries, gas tank,engine are in the rear. As always thanks for you input.

I have my battery on the left side to help level the boat when its just me in it sitting on the right.

I would definately mount one to the left and then wait and see how the balance of the boat is before you decide on where to put the 2nd battery. You may end up wanting one on the left and one in the middle. Or if its just you fishing by yourself most of the time you may want to put them both on the left (assuming you have a side console mounted on the right of course). If you are going to run a center console then that changes everything.

Just make sure that you use big battery cables to carry the juice from the motor to the cranking battery if you put it far from the motor.

Latest posts