G Loomis?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
Just curious how many G Loomis people are on here? I personally love a G Loomis rod and years ago thought people were crazy to spend anything over $100.00 for a fishin rod but a friend of mine talked me in to it a couple of years ago and iv'e been hooked on them since!! Not saying i don't use other brands but i could not believe the difference in sensitivity that a G Loomis rod has. Makes me wonder how many fish i missed through the years?? #-o

I've got 2 GLoomis rods... 1 is a 7'1" mossy back MH fast tip with a Shimano Curado 200e7 - one of my best rods. My other GLoomis is a 6'6" GL2 Heavy with a Daiwa Alphas Ito 103a - this is my Senko setup.

My FAVORITE rods are my 2 Kistler Helium LTA rods.. 6'9" Medium Heavy Ex-Fast Tip. Those are my shakey head, texas rig, carolina rig, jig, and anything else I want to throw. I have Daiwa Viento's on both of them as well. I don't like split grip rods, so I have the 2005 and 2008 models.. and I just got the newest rod about 3 weeks ago... I had to contact 100 different people to find one too.

Here is my opinoin. Unless you are getting an IMX or GLX it is a waste. Those rods are the standard to which all rods are held, that being said, Gloomis' lower end stuff is not worth the price. You can get a better rod than a GL2 or GL3 way cheaper.

I have 2 GLX's. a 782 and a Custom............https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=96&hilit=Orange+Pixy

Yes they are all that IMO, but you pay for it.

In all honesty, I do love my Kistler LTA's.
I also scored a Kistler Magnesium that I plan on putting through the ringer this summer.

ilinimud said:
Here is my opinoin. Unless you are getting an IMX or GLX it is a waste. Those rods are the standard to which all rods are held, that being said, Gloomis' lower end stuff is not worth the price. You can get a better rod than a GL2 or GL3 way cheaper.

I completely agree with this, though I like my "blend" cranking rod but that's a different stick altogether. For the money of a GL2 or GL3 I'd rather use a Shimano Crucial.

I wouldn't have the GLX, but I found it brand new with tags at a Pawn Shop - so for $40 it's an awesome rod... not to mention it's the only rod that will work with my Daiwa Alphas Ito reel and 15# PLine Halo (only line that stupid thing will throw)

I have a few G Loomis rods:
1 7'6" flipping stick Imx
3 cranking sticks
2 spinnerbait rods
2 imx spinning rods 6'6"
I love them they are all fantastic.
I also sold 3 cranking sticks this winter
I got lucky and found a guy that didnt know what he had when I purchased 5 broken rods from him for $25

I also use rouge rods and kistler
the gl2 and gl3 are over priced

russ010 said:
I wouldn't have the GLX, but I found it brand new with tags at a Pawn Shop - so for $40 it's an awesome rod... not to mention it's the only rod that will work with my Daiwa Alphas Ito reel and 15# PLine Halo (only line that stupid thing will throw)

Nice buy!!! Now why cant i find deals like that??!!

ilinimud said:
russ010 said:

Nice buy!!! Now why cant i find deals like that??!!
Same here. The funny thing is that isn't the only good deal he got there. I think he mentioned some dirt cheap Vientos at the same juncture.

I need to sic him on finding me a few St. Croix Avids. If I could, I would have a complete set of these things, coupled with Daiwa and Abu reels.

I know Garry Loomis and he gives me greef as I only own two of his rods. Most of what I use is Lamiglas and Rainshadow.
Price is a big factor and I don't think there blanks are as straight as the should be for the money.

What Lamiglas models do you have? Have you ever used the Competitor model? Or just the higher end stuff?

G Loomis all the way! Although I do have a nice Kistler Helium LTA, and I would probably buy another at a good price, but I prefer Loomis.

Captain Ahab said:
I prefer a high end St. Croix, but hey, we cannot all be as cool as me 8) 8) 8)

Ha. I am. :lol: :lol:

Not really sure that is a good thing...... :shock:

Got another Avid on its way. :D

Still can't get myself to pry that much money out of my wallet to drop on a fishing rod. Might have to hit the local pawn shops and maybe I can catch a break like Russ did.

I have 16 different G-Loomis rods, 1 Diawa rod and 5 St. Croix Rods left. I prefer the loomis rods over the St Croixs any day. I am very, very happy with the Loomis and Daiwa warranty as I have been known to be a lil clumbsy at times (about 4-5 broken rods a year). St Croix's warranty is garbage, last year I broke a legend elite with an "unlimited lifetime warranty" and they charged me $85 to replace a $310 rod, needless to say I will probaly never buy another St Croix [-X and I started selling off my st croix's since that incident.

my arsenal:

Gloomis:
BSR852 "Senko" GLX w/ Shimano Sustain SA2000FB
BCR864 "Senko" GLX w/ TD Viento
BCR875 "Carolina Rig" GLX w/ TD Viento
BSR803 "Tube" GLX w/ Shimano Sustain SA2500FE
FGR863C "Frog" w/ BPS Johnny Morris sig
SWBR904C-1 "Swimbait" w/ TD Viento
CBR847 "Crankbait" w/ BPS Johnny Morris sig
CBR781 "Crankbait" w/ BPS johnny Morris sig
SBR812C "Spinnerbait" w/ BPS johnny Morris sig
PR844S "permit/redfish" w/ Shimano Sustain SA5000FD
SMR750S-SP " Bronzeback) w/ Shimano Stradic 1000FH
SR6010 GL2 w/ Shimano Symetre SY500FJ
MBR783C GL2 w/ BPS Johnny Morris sig
SJR782S GL2 w/ Shimano Symetre SY4000FI
SJR721 GL3 w/ Shimano Symetre SY1500FI
also have a GLX fly rod that is packed away right now w/ a loomis reel.

Daiwa:
Daiwa Spinmatic 7'6" ul rod w/ Shimano Symetre SY1500FI (I use this rod for shad, love it)

St. Croix:
PS50ULM Premeir w/ Pfluger President
PS70MLF Premier w/ no reel (rod is for sale!!!)
TIS80HF Tidemaster w/ Okuma Epixor EB50 (2 of theese combos)
ES60MLF Legend Elite w/ Shimano Stradic 2500MgFA