Garmin vs Lorance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onthewater102 said:
I came across this comparison that showed the Garmin sonar units did not have a full field of coverage beneath the boat, and that there was a blind spot the software concealed by building a composite image.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iSEavtazXt0

That's interesting, makes me wonder what other games they play, especially with that Livescope I linked above!

jethro said:
onthewater102 said:
I came across this comparison that showed the Garmin sonar units did not have a full field of coverage beneath the boat, and that there was a blind spot the software concealed by building a composite image.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iSEavtazXt0

That's interesting, makes me wonder what other games they play, especially with that Livescope I linked above!

That's the difference between Clearvu and Downvu that I mentioned before. Clearvu does not have a true down element in the transducer. Downvu (with a GT series transducer) does.

From what I understand, Downvu's technology was too similar to the competition. That prompted a lawsuit which Garmin lost, and is why they had to switch to the "wannabe" Clearvu.

jethro said:
Have you seen the Garmin Panoptix Livescope units? That technology is amazing, the sonar is so accurate you can even determine fish species from it. They've started to ban it from tournaments is so amazing. https://youtu.be/q-TtJcEQmB0

I've probably seen the name in the past but just scrolled on by. I watched the Youtube video in your link. Now, I have to admit that is very impressive. Price tag is kinda rich for me, but let's see, if I start saving now, and the prices come down like they always to for tech stuff, then I could possibly have one at some point in the future. Haha.

Looks like it has been out for awhile. I wonder why we don't hear more about it.

Edit: Jethro, in another Panoptix video the guy was trolling for walleye. He shows them at 10' depth in the forward view. As the boat approaches, the fish dive down to 25'. Then they go off the forward view scope and his regular sonar shows fish marks at 25'. Now, where should the downrigger be, 10' or 25'? This time of year I kind of ignore the FF and go shallow because I know the rainbows are going to be shallower due to water temps being down.

picked up a garmin echomap plus 93sv at bass pro yesterday. wanted a 7 in screen but the 9 was only 600$. chirp, down vu and side vu, lakevu maps. thought i wanted the 7 in but the price was too good. it is going on the console of my g3 1756 cc. takes up the whole console gonns have to get a ram mount maybe.touchscreen w buttons.leftover from black friday sale.will install next month and give feedback. they list for 1k$. only negative is i wanted to be able to swivrl it towards my bow, stock base doesnt swivel. can turn it around in cradle.will be looking at ram mounts.

hipster dufus said:
picked up a garmin echomap plus 93sv at bass pro yesterday. wanted a 7 in screen but the 9 was only 600$. chirp, down vu and side vu, lakevu maps. thought i wanted the 7 in but the price was too good. it is going on the console of my g3 1756 cc. takes up the whole console gonns have to get a ram mount maybe.touchscreen w buttons.leftover from black friday sale.will install next month and give feedback. they list for 1k$. only negative is i wanted to be able to swivrl it towards my bow, stock base doesnt swivel. can turn it around in cradle.will be looking at ram mounts.

Nice & congrats. The RAM brand mounts are nice although as I'm sure you already know some can get a little pricey. I used a Johnny Ray swivel mount on my Humminbird. Not as nice as the RAM mount IMO, but the price was right and it works well for me.

Anyway, I hope you will circle back around and let us know how you like the Echomap after you get a chance to use it.

LDUBS said:
Edit: Jethro, in another Panoptix video the guy was trolling for walleye. He shows them at 10' depth in the forward view. As the boat approaches, the fish dive down to 25'. Then they go off the forward view scope and his regular sonar shows fish marks at 25'. Now, where should the downrigger be, 10' or 25'? This time of year I kind of ignore the FF and go shallow because I know the rainbows are going to be shallower due to water temps being down.

Good question, maybe he should be using planer boards dragging lead or copper to be 10' deep but off to the side. But I would tend to think like you do, kind of ignore the FF because for as many fish as you see on the screen, you know there are 20 you didn't when they are that close to the surface.

Latest posts