Gasket Sealant -- Water Pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you folks use any kind of sealant on the impeller gasket(s) when you do your water pump replacement?

If so, any particular brand. I note some are silicone based.

The Water Pump Replacement instructions for my Honda outboard is silent on the subject.

Thanks.

Larry

No sealant is required as long as the gasket is in good shape.
If your housing has an o-ring seal it also requires no sealant.
I would put at least a good heavy coat of grease on the bolts and gearcase fasteners.
I use something called "Gasket Sealing Compound" by BRP on all the fasteners. No need to seek that out for what you are doing.

Pappy's right on the money.

Sealant can cause more trouble than it's worth.

Grease on the bolts for sure but not on the impeller or any of the water pump parts. Grease can make the rubber parts swell and soften, neither of which is conducive to longevity.

turbotodd said:
Grease on the bolts for sure but not on the impeller or any of the water pump parts. Grease can make the rubber parts swell and soften, neither of which is conducive to longevity.

I actually use dish soap on the rubber impeller during assembly.. it provides a little bit of lube but dissolves once the water hits it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I always put never seize on all the bolts, it can't hurt and with the reaction between SS bolts and aluminum I never know when I may be the one having to go back into it again years later.

Will never recommend never seize. It can contain trace elements of metals such as copper, etc. which can and will react to the aluminum and start the process of galvanic corrosion. And, it doesn't have to be copper. Any trace metal in never seize that is higher on the nobility scale than aluminum will do the same damage at a different rate.
How about graphite in never seize? Graphite is not corrosive in itself towards aluminum, but in the presence of chloride ions (such as from sea-water or marine atmosphere) it can cause galvanic (bimetallic) corrosion to occur. Graphite is electrically conductive.
A good marine grease, a teflon lubricant around salty areas, or gasket sealing compound is all that is needed.

Pappy said:
Will never recommend never seize. It can contain trace elements of metals such as copper, etc. which can and will react to the aluminum and start the process of galvanic corrosion. And, it doesn't have to be copper. Any trace metal in never seize that is higher on the nobility scale than aluminum will do the same damage at a different rate.
How about graphite in never seize? Graphite is not corrosive in itself towards aluminum, but in the presence of chloride ions (such as from sea-water or marine atmosphere) it can cause galvanic (bimetallic) corrosion to occur. Graphite is electrically conductive.
A good marine grease, a teflon lubricant around salty areas, or gasket sealing compound is all that is needed.
I actually have 4 different types of never seize, two types of the grey that you can call the supply house and get on your ear when you ask if they have it, the copper infused that is just as bad and the teflon (hi-temp) white that is what I use for marine applications. It is still pretty messy, but not near as bad as the other three.