General aluminum angle questions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcampbell011

Reaction score
I have some general questions, I have found people mentioning these Qs other places but no real definitive answers.

Should alum angle be capped where it could rub against the hull? How it this done?

I understand the difference in strength between 6061 and 6063 aluminum. Do you think having the stronger 6061 is worth having to figure out a way to make them fit nicely into each other? Is it worth having to make a shim each time you connect two angle bars?

No need to cap - but if it is a possible wear point file the edges - better to leave some space

I am not sure what you mean about making shims? Why = because of the rounded inside edge? - You do not need to fit that tightly if you use at least two fasteners or have each edge secured

I did mine using SS nylock nuts, bolts and machine screw - but rivets would work as well and are a lot less expensive

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342639#p342639 said:
tcampbell011 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:42 pm[/url]"]Hmm interesting.. Did you use the SS nuts and bolts so that it could be disassembled?

I used it for added strength and because I had piles of them from other boats (and our family hardware store :))

We built on the fly so it was nice to be able to "tweek" and few build ins

i used architectural angle so i didn't need shims.i also dipped the ends that may rub in plastic dip for dipping plier handles etc. in.

Latest posts