Getting a Jon boat to load straight on trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-CN- said:
captain belly said:
JL8Jeff said:
I have never tried to drive a boat onto a trailer. I'm so used to walking it out and pushing it past the trailer and then pulling it back in and centering it on the bunks or rollers as I hook up the manual winch strap.

Nice to see someone else do this. I thought I was the only one. I have a long rope, and just push the boat way out and let the current take it. when it's 'almost' square with the trailer, I'll pull the boat in far enough into the trailer that I can hook to the winch. I'm getting ready to make a nice platform on the tongue so I can keep my feet dry. I've used this method for 30 years, and it's never failed me.
I have always done it this way as well.

The long rope (about 2 ft. longer than the length of my trailer) is useful for solo launching the boat too. I connect the rope to my boat, lay it loosely rolled on top of the front deck, and connect the other end to my truck hitch. I then just have to back in until it floats and it won't float away.

I'm lucky all the ramps I use have a dock so walking the boat onto the trailer is real easy. Ain't going to be climbing over the bow and trying to balance on the trailer tongue, so forget about driving it on. Haha.

Launching solo, I hold the bow line out my driver's side window.

New River Rat said:
I suppose I would take a fine. 35º-37º water is no wadeable option for me. I do what I must for big smallmouth.

I coldwater fish in Maine at iceout. Water is right around those temps and I hand load that big beast pictured above all the time. A pair of tall Muck boots live in the back seat of the truck until Mid June when they are replaced by a pair of Crocs.