Good Weekend...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdneckhntr

Reaction score
Heres a few pics of the fish I caught over the weekend...I caught the gar Thursday(not me holding it), then I caught the smallie saturday and the walleye(my first) sunday... creek chubs, roostertail, and tube...

Attachments

• gar 5.10.07.jpg
    gar 5.10.07.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,665
Smallie and walleye...

Attachments

• me bass resized.JPG
    me bass resized.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,658
  • bass 5.12.07 resized.JPG
    bass 5.12.07 resized.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,658
  • walleye resized.JPG
    walleye resized.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,658
Nice fish! I'm not positive, but it looks like you got a sauger there, not a walleye. They're some cool lookin fish!

Zman said:
Nice fish! I'm not positive, but it looks like you got a sauger there, not a walleye. They're some cool lookin fish!

Well then I reckon it's my first sauger. How can you tell the difference in them? My uncle told me it was a walleye but he doesnt fish for them...

rdneckhntr said:
Zman said:

Well then I reckon it's my first sauger. How can you tell the difference in them? My uncle told me it was a walleye but he doesnt fish for them...

I would have to agree with Zman....

https://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishing/aquanotes-fishid/sauger.htm

jimmyt said:
rdneckhntr said:
Zman said:

I would have to agree with Zman....

https://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishing/aquanotes-fishid/sauger.htm

Well Im gonna agree with you guys. All i know is that thing was 16 1/2" long and it hammered a tube bait that was settin on the bottom.

rdneckhntr said:
Well Im gonna agree with you guys. All i know is that thing was 16 1/2" long and it hammered a tube bait that was settin on the bottom.

That's a great catch then! I used to catch quite a few in the 3 Rivers around Pittsburgh, and mostly on tubes and fatheads. I don't think I ever caught one over 16". After you catch a few walleye and sauger you'll start to see the difference.

The most obvious to me, back then, was the dark, detailed patches all over the sauger. Where I fished, the sauger had light and dark brown shades and the walleye had a slightly greener tint. And the spots on the fins. Even the eye, if I remember correctly is much more white where the walleye I think was more reflective.

The difficult thing for me is identifying a saugeye, which was a hybrid walleye/sauger.