Grease seal install question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
When doing my trailer bearings, I realized I made a mistake and seated the inner grease seals up to the inner bearing instead of leaving them flush with the hub. Should I take it all apart and redo the seals or do you think it will be ok for a year? Thanks for any ideas.

I'd check to make sure the part of the spindle where the seal is riding on now is the same diameter as where it would have been if left flush with the hub. If it is, then it should be OK. If it's riding on a smaller diameter section of the spindle, you'll have to replace the seal unless your luck is better than mine and you can get that seal out without damaging it. My guess would be that it's riding on a smaller area of the spindle and may be getting squeezed between the bearing and the shoulder that the bearing presses against.

I've inadvertently installed seals too deep. I put the hub on a table seal side down and used a cut off broom stick to gently tap on the bearing to push the seal back out a little.

Latest posts