Great day learning

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloch16

Reaction score
Today I fished for about 4 hours on Shearon Harris Lake near Raleigh NC. I didn't catch a fish - no didn't even get a bite, but it was a good day of fishing because I learned alot!

It was windy - very,very windy. Spent more time dorking with the trolling motor to keep positioned than anything else. But, I was able to use my fish finder to locate a ton of fish on a wind blown main lake point that dropped quickly to 20 feet. I haven't had much luck understanding my fish finder but I've done some research and was able to actually understand what I was looking at. I could see the fishing moving up to feed on the baitfish, stuff like that. Mission accomplished! If only they would have only bit! Didn't bring my jerkbaits that might have done the trick

Second, discovered my little 14MV jon can take some chop. Was glad I had the modified V today, getting back to the ramp was a bit hairy. Getting the boat on the trailer was even more nerve wracking because the winds were blowing 90 degree perpendicular to the wramp. Yikes! Will be working on a bilge pump now :p

Finally, drain plug didn't leak like it has in the past (due to dropping the batter on it lol) and all my latest tweaks to the jon boat worked great.

So even though I didn't catch fish, it was a great day fishing!

I think we all need a day like that once in a while. how big is your jon ? I took my 12 foot out for the second time a month ago, water was calm on both sides of the bridge all the way to the ramp, at the ramp wind was pretty strong and was a little choppy, so I loaded her up anyways to go to a calmer spot. Well once I got in the waves picked up and started pouring overs the sides, and then the bottom of my motor caught the ground and tipped me over... after getting all my stuff back, I promptly put that boat up for sale. lol

Sounds like a great day.

I use two 15 pound Navy anchors to hold my 14' mod-v in position, even in heavy wind. I use 150' of rope and let most of it out, longer the line the better the holding angle.

I too learned a few things this passed weekend. My bilge pump isn't working, neither auto switch of manual switch. Need to fix that.
I need a Minnow Mizer to keep my minnows alive longer, especially while camping.
I need to modify my filet cutting board so it fits better on teh bow of my boat.
And finally, you can make pizza in a Ducth oven over a campfire.