Hardtop build and install... Dad's '83 Chris Craft 280 fun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
Just a little winter project I've been working on with my dad over the last month or so.

Going to make this:
DSC01760_zpsad46cc53.jpg

Look something like this:
DSC01718_zps3cce36a1.jpg

We are up to this point:
DSC01906_zpsbe27858f.jpg

Material is mostly aluminum so hopefully some of it will fit into this sites theme.

Holy Not-A-Riverboat Batman

Looking forward to the progress

Welp, been back at the hardtop for a couple days. Finally tackled the roof to wall joint. We were going to just plate the two on the outside with a chunk of 1/4" x 3" plate that was notched for the roof beams. Sadly it did not fit very well. The top of the wall was too flexible and I didn't comfortably feel it would hold unless I put about 30 bolts on each side. The other option was to weld two pieces of 1.5" x .25" angle and use the flange as a bolt together point. In order to do that I have to change the top of the wall and add an angled chunk around 5" tall. Of course there was a ton of administrative welding and fitting to get everything to turn out well. This way the roof will be held on with 6 bolts on each side.

DSC01920_zps040defdf.jpg

One of my concerns was what would cover the end edge of the bead board at the back wall. I was rummaging around my scrap pile and found a 3' chunk of extruded metal that would work wonderfully once sectioned and fitted. I used a piece of 5 mm board to fit everything and had to make end caps and a front cap for the angled panel. I'll eventually mount some interior lights in the angled section.

DSC01921_zpse004a687.jpg

Finally a money shot showing all the aluminum dust from sanding the welds smooth.
DSC01922_zps24c0f2fb.jpg

I really wanted to get it back to the boat to test the fit but ran out of time. I need to fit it again so I can start on the vent windows. Dad came up and we test fitted one of the roof panels, gonna be some real fun getting them welded in place. I also need to fit the anchor light as I want to have all the other work done before putting the roof skin on.

More to come...

Latest posts