Have you heard of King Starboard?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
In my plan to keep everything that goes into the boat as plastic wood or aluminum I found a deal. It is called King Starboard and it is plastic sheet goods. It comes in a couple of thicknesses and I am not sure how thick this stuff is. I have a possible swap going on that will get me quite a bit of this. A little glue, some screws and brackets I'm in business.
I found the stuff on line but the only thing it does not show is used for floors to walk on. I am hoping it is at least 1/2". With the extruded polystyrene foam it should work perfectly.
Anybody using this for floors or raised platforms in their boats? Thanks. Kris

It is really heavy and there is NOTHING that will adhere to it except a special super expensive adhesive that bonds to it AFTER you torch it on the areas you intend on bonding. I would go with .125" aluminum sheet.

smackdaddy53 said:
It is really heavy and there is NOTHING that will adhere to it except a special super expensive adhesive that bonds to it AFTER you torch it on the areas you intend on bonding. I would go with .125" aluminum sheet.

Wow! Thanks for that input Mac.

Agree, I wouldn't use it for flooring either. It machines well, but adheres so-so and any hole drilled in it must be oversize to account for thermal expansion/contraction.Good stuff to replace teak trim on boats ... but not for ALL uses ...

Oh, CPG Seaboard is pretty much the same product and is cheaper. I used to be able to buy scraps from a local plastics wholesaler for cheap and I made a TON of rod racks et al, when flyfishing in saltwaters became big. On the other hand, I have used both LDPE and HDPE plastics on boats fora ton of uses and reserve the starboard or seaboard for trim that shows, more cosmetic reasons only.

I have seen this stuff. My local HD sells sheets of it now. I found information online a few weeks ago because I was thinking of using it in my boat. Don't use it for flooring. It needs a lot more support framing underneath it. It sags when not supported enough and can crack. It also expands and contracts a lot from temperature change.

Nothing will truly stick to it. You need to mechanically fasten it. It's main use is for stuff like boxes/chests or consoles on work boats. It doesn't stay pretty white long. It gets a black haze on it after a while.

When making a box with it you can seal it by using 5200 as a caulk but not to hold it together.

Hope this helps.

I have seen this stuff listed in the Cabela's catalog. It's really expensive, maybe because Cabela's sells it. I used a similar material on my 1236 called Sintra. I liked it a lot. It is light and machines well. It was kind of expensive at about $100 for a 4x8 sheet (1/2") but as it lasts forever in the long run it may be a good deal. I used standard contact cement to glue carpet to it without any issues.

when Sintra, Komatex, Celtec and Starboard first came out, it was used heavily in the sign world for cheap, fast weatherproof signs.
then, 2 or 3 years later, the sun's UV really beat it up. Becomes brittle, warps and cracks easily.
it's a great product to slap on some vinyl graphics and collect the quick $$.$$ for INTERIOR signs.
If using it outside, you will be going back in a year to address the UV related issues.
Awesome for any kind of INTERIOR projects. It is basically a sheet of closed cell PVC.
In the signmakers world in Florida, we have experienced a 4x8 sheet expanding and contracting a full 3/4".
The PVC used in small projects do not experience the massive expansion/contraction rate as the larger areas.
Sintra-Komatex.jpg
https://www.sintrapvc.com/
https://www.professionalplastics.com/KOMATEX
https://www.kingplastic.com/
slippery as caca when wet. Not too many paints or adhesives adhere to it well. 100% waterproof. UV will destroy it.
Machines and shapes very well with hand and power tools.
It is non-structural. So be careful how you use it. Do your research prior to using it in a boat.

Jus my dos centavos

It turns out that this Starboard is 3/8" thick. Certainly not heavy duty enough for my frame anyway. I believe I will stick with the aluminum sheeting for the floor. I am still going to use this Starboard for things like under the front deck with carpet covered marine plywood on top to through bolt stuff to. Supports for the front casting deck and the inner support on the transom will be Azek. Most of this will have carpet covered marine plywood on top of it. Rear casting deck will be a little higher than the front one to clear batteries, fuel tank and some storage. On either side of the front deck will be rod locker on the port and storage on the starboard. Now I just have to make the money to buy all that's needed to get it done. Kris

It is UV resistant, some of the cheaper stuff is not. I have a starboard deck on my poling platform and ice chest top for a casting platform and splash rails on my boat and top for my console. Wiping it down with WD-40 will keep it conditioned.

Latest posts