Heartbreak On The River (With A Picture For Esquired)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
Hit the river in search of action two nights in a row. Last night, I couldn't get anything much going. The water was low and the current that holds the fish was nonexistent.

I stuck this yeller perch on a jointed Bomber Long A (squirrel wallet pictured)

Perch2.jpg

And hung into two of these

Striper11.jpg

But no constant action. Tonight I tried a new spot in deeper water, and we couldn't get anything going until 9:30 or so. I did also pick up a good trout that hit right at my feet.

RainbowTrout6.jpg

My friend and I had both caught 3 or so each and I said I was tired of guessing on how big the 3 and 4 pounders were right when they hit. I was ready for a fish that would take drag hard and leave no doubts that it was a good fish.

Within 5 minutes, I hooked one of those fish. I fought it for 6 minutes (a 4 pounder takes 30 seconds to a minute MAX to get in) and got it 10 feet away (leader a couple feet out the rod tip) and my line goes slack. No popped line, no bent hooks, no knot failure, no headshake, no nothing. The bait just came right back to me and a man of a fish was gone.

I proceed to have 5 fish come unbuttoned in a row before I could get the hooks in a peanut. I missed 5 or so more, then I caught the big fish of the night. We each caught 5 or 6 more before I had my line wrapped around my tip and casted, giving me a heck of a backlash that I was unable to pick out in the dark.

TroutandStriper2.jpg

Now that is what i am talking about.

The stripers love to swipe at the bombers and the big girls seem to always get a hook in the head - which them comes out once you turn the fish as you land it