Heaviest stringer of the year.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specknreds

Reaction score
A old friend called and said lets go fishing on the Jordan River. Capt. Ryan, who is a local inshore guide, and I grew up fishing these waters together for the last 25 years.

The morning started out rough. A cold front moved through Thursday which dropped the morning temps. to the 40's. The water temps are still in the high 70's. Needless to say, we were fogged injust after sun rise. Thankfully it only lasted about a hour. We goofed around for a couple of hours catching a few dinks. We decided to make a 15 mile run offshore to fish a couple of oyster reefs that we haven't fished for 10 years plus. First cast with an Mirro-lure produces a 3lb'r. It wasn't fast but we soon began to slim the decks with Specks. All were super quality fish. The biggest we kept was a touch under 6lbs and the smallest was 1lbs 13oz on a digital scale. We kept 26 and released the rest.

2008_010110-300131.jpg

2008_010110-300125.jpg

This is a 94 quart ice chest with only 26 specks in it :shock:

2008_010110-300128.jpg

I also kept a couple of Spanish Mackeral and a small drum for the grill.

It got interesting for a little while when a school of Blackfin Sharks moved through. They bit several of our fish in two and cut us off numerous times.

Nice catching.
How big those sharks get?
Might be fun if properly rigged.

I've seen Blackfin sharks over 6'. They moved in and the specks were jumping out of the water to get out of their way. I do not care to fish for sharks period. They are a brutal fight which is fun, but sooner or later you have to deal with him. If your keeping one to eat, you simply shoot them. A lot of people club them over the head. I saw a guy club about a 7'er and drag him into the boat. He just knocked it out because he tore his boat apart. It ripped all of the screws out of his center console. I've had them bite my fiberglass boats :evil: . I try to avoid them because I do not want to kill anything unless I'm eating it.

Latest posts