Help, please Handicap Railing for boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Either the SEARCH function isn't working or ??? I tried handicap railing; railing; rail and all come up with NO ANSWERS.

A guy on another site is trying to build/buy a railing for his aging father to go fishing.

I've seen ones on here, and even had a bit of a similar "post" on one of my boats. While I am ancient, I don't yet need one, but would like to help the guy out.

Can someone please direct me to a build article where such a railing has been installed on a boat? If my description isn't clear...let me try this.

Next to the console, a vertical riser/pipe is installed. Attached to the top of that pipe, is a slanted TEE that angles forward. Another piece of pipe/tubing is run from that slanted TEE a few feet so that it ends over the foredeck. Another vertical pipe/tube runs off of a 90 degree TEE down to the foredeck.

The user grabs the rail, walks along with its help, and finally winds up on the foredeck chair.

Any help or LINKS appreciated. thanks richg99

Easy to build whatever you wanted with these... a lot cheaper too... 1" is probably strong enough ... certainly 1 3/8" would be strong enough to hang off of...

https://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fittings-Canopy-Parts-Tent-Fittings-s/37.htm

Thanks LDUBS...I've already sent him the Fish-on-fabs URL.

Way back in my foggy memory, I recall a full article about a guy who added a post next to his console, and then ran a semi-horizontal pipe forward. He'd grab it at the console, and then work his way forward to his seat.

But, so far, no amount of searching or Googling has come up with it. I've been in and out of so many fishing/boating sites over the past 25 years or so, who knows where I might have seen that thread.

Thanks.. richg99

p.s. Hope the fires are staying away from you.

Yep! I sent him a LINK to something just like that. As I get older ( 81 soon) I may have to put one of those on my boat.

Ha Ha rich

p.s. I took this shot at 7:00 or so this morning. Only one small LM Bass. Fishing has NOT been good this summer.

Attachments

• Heading Out2.jpg
    Heading Out2.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 145
I was doing pretty good, but last time out my son got two decent sized rainbows and I got zip. We plan on heading out in the next few days. If I catch something it is a bonus! Haha.

My boat has a pretty robust frame supporting the canvass top. I use that as my boarding grab rail. Having something to grab chest or waist high is important for us "age advantaged" folks. haha.

I have a harbor freight hydraulic pipe bender. I can get aluminum pipe locally and have fabricated several marine related things out of al pipe. Pipe and tubing are different sizes and the bending dies will collapse tubing so you need pipe - which can be harder to find. IT would be pretty easy to make a railing just like the one in your picture. If you need flanges on the ends, pipe can be threaded to accept flanges or you can get structural flanges that slip onto the ends of pipe.

32888_W3.jpg

Latest posts