HELP w/ sealant options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Western14’

Reaction score
Hello boys, hope everyone is staying sane while staying safe! With the down time, I’m looking to spruce up the ole tinny. I started with the transom, sanded and a few coats of spar urethane. I’m looking for recommendations to seal the thru hole bolts that hold the handles on the stern and the wood transom to the hull itself. I’m thinking 5200 but was curious to what the pros thought. Thanks in advance!

Not a pro but will kibitz anyway

I'd douse the ID of the wood thru holes with your spar varnish & let dry a few days.

Then use the 5200 to seal the joint.

If you haven't yet bought the 5200, Locktite sells a marine sealant that will also work, it's not quite as good but 1/2 the price.

You really should prime any tin to be gooped regardless of the product you use, see picture to follow that Johnny collected on his boats through the years. Wash area w/ vinegar, rinse and dry, then prime with self-etching zinc chromate primer.

I'd also put nylon washers under the bolt heads and nuts, but that's me.

Otherwise, I too prefer other goops over 3M's 5200, and prefer LifeCaulk by BoatLife. It works the same, looks the same, but co$ts less and even better ... the tubes last for YEARS, not like a year or so w/ 3M products.

Goop on Tin.JPG

Thanks gents for the timely responses. Yes, I already have the nylon locking nuts. I went ahead and ordered the life caulk based on the tips. Thanks again guys, cheers!

Western14’ said:
Thanks gents for the timely responses. Yes, I already have the nylon locking nuts. I went ahead and ordered the life caulk based on the tips. Thanks again guys, cheers!
FYI, I didn't just mean nylok nuts, I specifically meant 'nylon washers' placed on either side of the tin, under both the bolt head and the nut, to insulate the SS from the tin ... for best results, prevents galvanic corrosion.