Holes in boat!? Removing Steelflex!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HILLDADDY88

Reaction score
Two questions for the community here wanted to get some input before I move any further. Has anyone ever developed small holes in their boat? where my middle bench is on my jon (1436 tracker topper) under the boat it looks as if the aluminum tore where the ridges are. pretty weird and the boat is only 3 years old (missed my warranty by a month... #-o dont bring it up) Have heard of people using jb weld to just cover the hole has anyone found this method effective? have any other tips?

Guess what the bottom of my boat is covered in!? Steelflex... Which was kind of a waste of money and been a nighmare since day 1. Does anyone have experience removing steelflex from their boat? I want to save my boat (first boat sentimental feeling) but Im so fed up with it im thinking about donating it to the artifical reef program and buying a better boat! If you guys have any wisdom or know of any wizardry that could help my cause I would be forever in your debt! [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

I've had good luck with the jb weld. Just scuff the area good with rough sand paper to give it something to stick to. I was wandering about ll tis epoxy everyone is using. It seals up great but when damage happens... And it will. Nothing will stick to it. Cant weld with it on there. I used some boat repair sticks and there good for a quick fix with a torch.

Thanks for the reply! Where did you find these boat repair sticks? Other than your local hardware store iv got a bass pro and west marine near me. Would any of them carry them?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=355721#p355721 said:
malaki » Yesterday, 23:23[/url]"]I ordered from cabelas but they dont have them any more.
cabelas was just reselling 2 sticks of Scotchkote 226P and instructions in that kit

you should be able to get a 3m dealer to order some for you. there is a guy selling packs of 5 sticks of it on ebay too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotchkote-226P-/371082798505

instructions: heat leaky area to 350 degrees and smear the stick around in it

If it were me, I'd have it welded. But having said that, I have had good success with taking a piece of aluminum over the crack area with 5200. I screwed mine into the aluminum and have done one with pop rivets. The 5200 seals and makes stick well.

Latest posts