Hook Brands....Does it really matter?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually go with owner for my worm hooks. On my cranks I just sharpen them up right out of the box. It makes a difference.

I'm a Mustad man, the Mega bites for worms, the Triple Grips for trebles, and all the baits I make get them as well, hard to beat!

I think having confidence in your hooks matter more then the brand. I love sickle style hooks and have been using Matzuo America because they are one of the few I can find.

I just found out that HookerZ makes this style as well (but only in offset worm hooks :x ) So I will try those next.

esquired said:
I think having confidence in your hooks matter more then the brand. I love sickle style hooks and have been using Matzuo America because they are one of the few I can find.

I just found out that HookerZ makes this style as well (but only in offset worm hooks :x ) So I will try those next.

I've been looking at hookers for awhile now, might order a bunch for a future member review.

Jim said:
I've been looking at hookers for awhile now, might order a bunch for a future member review.
LMAO! Sorry Jim, when I read your post I just lost it. Let me when the member review starts.

As far as hooks, I'm in agreement with Ahab. I'm all over the place on brands, I look for performance and cost.

With that said, I am partial to Matzou America wide gaps for my plastics.

I use gamakatsu's in the rare occasion I throw a soft plastic, I have some Mustad worm hooks I bought on sale that performed good too.

Gamakatsu for me. I used to be partial to Owner, but I didn't like the size of the hole that the cutting edge opened in the fish. I also broke a few them in tournament situations.

I have tried the BPS Extreme hooks with success.

I'm partial to owner #6 light mutu circle hooks, they work on everything from trout to spottail bass, flounder, and even sheepshead. 95% of the time, they hook the fish in the corner of the mouth, it's rare to gut-hook fish with these.

I like the gamma hooks I think that most of the big brands are good (owner Mustad gamma ) I used eagle claw and true turn but found my hook ups better when I switched. I always switch my crankbait hooks to mustad triple grip unless they say what type hook they have
I try to sharpen my crank bait hooks and toss my soft plastic hooks after they get hung up on wood or rock and show signs of being dull

brand doesn't seem to matter as much as color for the saltwater fishing i do or at least it seems like it. we use RED trebles, circles and khale hooks and seem to have better luck.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332444#p332444 said:
Colbyt » Yesterday, 17:13[/url]"]I go through so many of them I buy whatever cheap brand I can find; the rocks and trees don't seem to have a preference.

LMAO, that sounds about like me, fishing out here in the saltwater. If it isn't an oyster bed that snags a rig and breaks or cuts it off, it'll be an unmarked abandoned crab pot. No lie, several times, I have tied on a brand new rig only to lose it on the first cast! :x Do that a few times in a day, it gets aggravating real quick LOL

I've often said if we had a way to dam off the entrance at the jetties and draw the inlet down for 24 hours, there would be some interesting finds. Probably 100,000 pounds of lead from all the lost rigs, sinkers, etc. Not to mention all the sunglasses, cell phones, sunken boats, and even a few outboards.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334844#p334844 said:
bcbouy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:53 pm[/url]"]being a fly fisher i just make sure they're sharp.once a fly is mangled,its done.

Do you use SS hooks?

Latest posts