How much do rod recommendations actually mean?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
Rods have recommended line weight to be used with the rod. Many have recommended lure weight as well. How much to these actually mean? Should they be followed absolutely or are they more like loose guidelines?

For example, if a rod says "8-12 lb test" how bad is it to go outside that range? What if you're using braided line?

Or if the rod says "3/8 to 1 oz." What happens if you put a 1 1/2 oz lure on there?

I want to get just one nice combo this spring so I'm trying to learn everything I can to get something somewhat all-purpose. Any thoughts or anecdotes about going wide of the recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks you guys!

I follow them pretty closely. If you go too far over, you risk damaging the rod, and lessening the amount of backbone the rod has. If you go too far under, with lures they will be hard to cast, and with line, you risk breaking the line too easy. No one rod can handle every situation. You wouldn't use a screwdriver to pound in a nail would you? :D Plus, it gives you a good excuse to buy more stuff! :wink:

Oh...I don't need much of an excuse! :LOL2: But my better half sometimes needs convincing. At least she's going with me to the Madison Fishing Expo in a few weekends.

I try to stay pretty much withing the guidelines for a particular rod. Going outside the rods specs at best provides less than optimal performance and at worse could cause rod failure if you totally overload it.

Regarding braided line. Usually the spool will tell you equivalent Mono line size. For instance I'm looking at a spool of Power Pro 50# braid and it says it's diameter is equal to 12#.

poolie said:
Regarding braided line. Usually the spool will tell you equivalent Mono line size. For instance I'm looking at a spool of Power Pro 50# braid and it says it's diameter is equal to 12#.

So you're saying that the line recommendations on the rod are actually more "line diameter" recommendations than "line strength" recommendations? That actually makes more sense now that I think about it.

Line diameter has more to do with the reel and how much line you can put on it. For example, a reel that can hold 145 yds of 12 lb mono can hold 130 yds of 30 lb braid (roughly). Obviously you would not put 30 lb braid on a ultra light rod. If you want a good all around rod, go with a medium heavy (imo). The BPS carbon lite and abu veritas seem to be really popular rods that are budget friendly. Just my $0.02

I was looking at carbonlites on the bps website today, actually. The carbonlite combos seemed to be a pretty good deal, but while the reviews for the rods were great, some people said the carbonlite reels didn't have enough poundage in the drag.

If you don't like the drag on the reel that comes with the combo, buy separate. I would suggest a revo s. fantastic reel that sets up easy and is some what cheap. Research is your best friend.

My first 2 seasons of bass fishing was all done from the bank. Lots of walking, so I try to keep things as light as possible. My suggestion is to hold the rods, and get a good fell for them. I have a 7'0, M, F Abu Garcia Vendetta that's my all around rod. I throw everything I have with it, and love it. My MH rods all ways end up with worm, or jig duty because there too stiff for my liking to do any thing else. I also have another M Abu Garcia Tournament Graphite rod. (Wal-Mart special) That like a limp noddle compared to my Vendetta, and gets all the crank baits. Now I'm still new at high end rods, but have learned i have to have it in my hands. Your all around rod may be totally different from someone else. I was totally in love with ML and L my first year. May bee next year I will have a greater appreciation for MH's like so many others.

I keep close to the recommendations as well.

As for $$$ rods and reels, my best setup cost me $80 for the combo (Pflueger Trion, which now costs $60 from BPS). I have used the high dollar setups before but I do not see any reason to spend money on equipment when a $80-100 setup can and will do the same thing very easily.

I stick to the recommendations regarding lines, so long as I am not using braid.

When I use braid, I just set my drag accordingly. You don't want to have 50# braid on a rod rated for 12# and have a huge musky or striper hit, with the drag locked down...that medium power rod might snap...or your guides might get damaged.

So, if you go up in line strength using braid, adjust your drag on your reel...if you're using mono, fluoro or coplymer, I would suggest sticking to the line ratings as given.

Regarding lures, I have been known to go slightly above the rating, but I also take it easy when casting if I know I have gone up some. By gone up, I tend to mean...throwing a 1oz lure with a rod rated up to 3/4oz.

I started doing this to avoid having to buy additional rods before my budget could accommodate the purchases(though, I will eventually be buying those "additional rods" anyway).

Keep in mind that many lures that are marked as a certain weight, are actually heavier if you put them on a scale. Strike King Red Eye Shad for instance, tend to run a little heavy. Also, if you add plastic to a spinnerbait or a silicone hair jig, you changed the weight. If the rod was rated for 1/2oz and the jig is a 1/2oz jig and you add, say, a plastic or pork chunk, you've effectively gone over the recommended lure weight (not by much, but still...).

Just keep in mind that when/if you go over, pay special attention to how you cast...

In terms of going under, in my experience, it's no fun trying to cast a lure that is much smaller than the rod rating. It's often difficult to get the tip loaded right, as there just isn't enough weight on the rod to load the tip when you cast. This is particularly true if you are using the correct line weight for the rod.

Casting a 1/16oz lure with a medium heavy rod and 17# mono isn't really fun...

Latest posts