How to attach the decking???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorglockman

Reaction score
Loving this site and the info!!

Tried to search and could not find it...help. On wood and on aluminum deck supports, how are you attaching the carpeted decking or walls/caps to the wood/aluminum without having screw heads showing?

Anyone have any tips or links they can post so I can get my head around the technique?

THX!!!!

Anybody use pop rivets to attach the deck to the ribs? Does the carpet hide the pop rivet like it does for the screws? Seems 50/50 on screws vs rivets. Still trying to decide.
Also, there is either 15/32 or 19/32 for plywood at the store. I am leaning towards the 19/32...anyone concur?

Thanks in advance!

MNHunter505 said:
Anybody use pop rivets to attach the deck to the ribs? Does the carpet hide the pop rivet like it does for the screws? Seems 50/50 on screws vs rivets. Still trying to decide.
Also, there is either 15/32 or 19/32 for plywood at the store. I am leaning towards the 19/32...anyone concur?

Thanks in advance!
Those were formerly known as ½" and 5/8" but for reasons unknown to most of the world, they now make them 1/32 thinner than they did in the past. :? I went with the ½" on my back deck and 5/8" on my front deck. My logic was to keep the weight down and since strength wasn't a big issue for the rear since there wouldn't be any foot traffic over it, I used ½". But since everyone getting in or out of the boat will be usually go over the front deck, I decided to go with the 5/8" and I made the bracing a little closer together than in the back.

I'm planning to put my carpeted panels in with 1/4" rivets. I dont know that the carpet will hide a rivet that big but it should hade alot of it. I'm not real concerned with seeing a little bit of the rivet.

BassBlaster said:
I'm planning to put my carpeted panels in with 1/4" rivets. I dont know that the carpet will hide a rivet that big but it should hade alot of it. I'm not real concerned with seeing a little bit of the rivet.

Yea, that is what I am thinking too BassBlaster. I am leaning towards the rivets.

JMichael said:
MNHunter505 said:

Thanks in advance!
Those were formerly known as ½" and 5/8" but for reasons unknown to most of the world, they now make them 1/32 thinner than they did in the past. :? I went with the ½" on my back deck and 5/8" on my front deck. My logic was to keep the weight down and since strength wasn't a big issue for the rear since there wouldn't be any foot traffic over it, I used ½". But since everyone getting in or out of the boat will be usually go over the front deck, I decided to go with the 5/8" and I made the bracing a little closer together than in the back.

I am going to have standing guys on front and back...so 19/32 sounds like a safe bet. Thanks for the input.

they probably sized the ply lower to more closely match the metric equivalent the rest of the world goes by.you'll have a hell of a time removing riveted plywood.(its inevitable) stick with screws.

SVOMike86 said:
If your decks are carpeted, when you screw a deck screw into it, the head buries and you can't see it...
If you do attach the deck in this method, how do you seal the wood back up where the screw is? I have heard of some people using 3M 4200 on the screw before driving it into the decking, but with the carpet already on there this seems like it would be a mess. The other concern I have with using this method is as the carpet gets some age on it I would assume the screw holes that you make would be the first point of weakness.

My main concern though is sealing the decking. The screw without any sealant leaves a place for water to penetrate the decking.

Yea, ya know, keeping that plywood sealed is most important. If you don't want to use rivets because you feel they will be too permanent, and use screws with 5200...well I am assuming that is hell removing a screw with 5200 on it and getting it out through a carpeted hole?
I think pop rivets is a better course because you can pre-drill your hole before you apply the spar urethane. Then just easily puncture through the carpet for your poprivet to go through.

Only caution on using rivets for attaching the decking with carpet: You'll need to drill holes for the rivets. I'd give you really good odds that the drill bit will pull a strip out of the carpet in the process.

Additionally, They may end up being a relatively permanent solution for fastening. If you need to remove the decking for any reason, you'll need to drill out the rivets. Again, the chance of pulling a strip out will be VERY good.

Using a screw, you minimize the amount of interaction with the carpet, but you'll still need to pay attention to any pulls that might start.

I used rivets with the nautolex vinyl on my deck but no worries if I need to drill it out later.

Just something to consider...

Good luck!

you'll need to replace carpet loong before your wood ever rots from screw holes.i know when my carpet goes the wood will get replaced,theres no way im scraping glue off old wood to attach new carpet

bcbouy said:
you'll need to replace carpet loong before your wood ever rots from screw holes.i know when my carpet goes the wood will get replaced,theres no way im scraping glue off old wood to attach new carpet

I had a chat with the guys at the local marina about whether I should seal my marine plywood and that was the point they made as well.......and that is why I have decided not to go through the hassel of sealing.

Latest posts