How to flush mount boat seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezdrama

Reaction score
Just got my first boat, a 15' smokercraft mod-v bass catcher.

After I go and test run it I plan to re carpet the deck/benches/floors and install new seats.

Im going to put a seat on a pedestal on front deck, and a seat on pedestal in the middle ..... no problems there.

But on the back bench by the transom i want to mount 2 seats side by side flush with the bench.

How can I attach them since you cant get under the seats to screw them to anything.

I could screw them to wood them screw the wood back down but that seems like alot of work, I could get those universal seat clamps but they are like $40 a pop and wont look as good.
Do they make some type of flush mount adapter?

thanks

Attachments

• smokercraft.jpg
    smokercraft.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,450
I'd go with pin bases held down with bolts and jacknuts. Most decent hardware stores will have the "self sealing" variety in stock (usually ¼-20 with a silicone washer) for around 75 cents a piece.

There is a "friction wrench" that they sell for installation, but I've always done better with simple Channellocks.

If you go this route, use never-seez on the bolts when you install them since these have a fairly short cut thread and are susceptible to galling.

Typical jacknut:
90186a213p1-b01l.png

Im not sure im following you guys, are you just talking about pin style seat bases under the seat?

Im wanting to mount 2 seats in a side by side bench configuration and put a center console between them in the back.

Im not following .... captain stoopynoob needs pics

Guapo nailed it. I think mine were called nutserts. You can use whatever base you want. You will need a base that is screwed to the bench and the corresponding pin that screws to the seat.

I figured id just screw some swivels down to the bench with some self taping stainless screws, then use threaded studs in the seat and set the seat with studs sticking out the bottom onto the swivel and then secure it from in the swivel with nuts using a long wrench.

Im still having a hard time visualizing what you guys are talking about... is it something similar to what im thinking of doing?

IMG_0069.JPG

Maybe hinged?

Here is what I used to mount base to wood by setting it over installed studs after attaching chair to base. IMG_0069.JPG The smooth part of shank not allowing nut to run far enough to tighten it to base is why I cut a shim out of a plastic cutting board to match base shape. Base sets on shim after shim placed over installed into bench studs leaving enough thread to secure base lower plate, but not with so much shank that the nut hits smooth part of shank. Wanted woodscrew thread engaged in wood ,not smooth shank in wood which would lack holding strength.
Just double nutted the machine threaded end to allow torque to drive the studs into their pilot holes.

I was thinking pin bases in the bench. I guess that if you wanted, you could attach the seats to an aluminum, wood, or HDPE blank and then attach it to the bench, but my own preference would be toward the pin bases.

Waterwaif... i think those are called hangers, looks great! Where did you get that seat setup? That is exactlly what i had in mind.

I still aint understabding the concept of the the pin base deal

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360118#p360118 said:
deezdrama » Today, 17:30[/url]"]Waterwaif... i think those are called hangers, looks great! Where did you get that seat setup? That is exactlly what i had in mind.

I think this is the pin base deal being mentioned, but if you don't need the shock absorbing or the swivel feature, it might not work for you. Have you considered Velcro or snaps on the underside of the rigid seats?

Attachments

• SeatSwivelBase1.jpg
    SeatSwivelBase1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,205
Ok , got ya.

I was wanting to mount them pretty much flush, the pin bases would have them sticking up a few inches and i dont care for the wobble in these bases.
Thanks for clarifying what was being talked about, i thought this is what was being discussed but thought maybe they where talking about a different method of getting the seat right on the bench.

I think ill just try the swivels screwed down then use threaded studs/nuts on the seat.

Thanks

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360118#p360118 said:
deezdrama » 19 Jul 2014, 19:30[/url]"]Waterwaif... i think those are called hangers, looks great! Where did you get that seat setup? That is exactlly what i had in mind.

Sorry that's not my rig. Just a pic for hinge and console idea trying to guess what your after. Almost looks like Wise brand seat cushions like they put on their coolers. Maybe a special build for a boat manufacturer and a shorter pad made to replace the seat cushions on chairs to match pad between them?
An upholstery shop may be cheaper for a cushion to fit between your choice of seats. Size depending on how much rotation desired of seats,possibly with their lower cushions to match center cushion depending on budget.
I would be tempted to build a two by four frame to fit between seats, add a hinged lid with cup holders secured in it ,carpet it in a complimentary color too the seats and fasten it to wood bench with L brackets at bottom inside of frame.

Latest posts