Hummingbird Wide 100

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowe

Reaction score
Friend of mine supplied me with one of these units at no cost. He upgraded the ones on his boat and gave me his old one. I hooked it up, but haven't had a chance to hit the water since the installation. Just wondering if these were good FF in their day? Right now, the unit, when powered up will scroll a flat black line across the top of the screen and not record any depth, which is understandable because it is setting in my back yard when own. If I can get the wife to let me off work when I am not at my paying job, I may be able to find out if it is working by putting the boat in water. LOL

I've never personally used it. I've been in the market for a FF, and finally found a good deal on ebay. As for the Wide 100 - I've read pretty good reviews of it online and was considering buying one before I found the 727.

Anyways, it will probably work good for you. I've got a Humminbird Piranha Max 15 that I bought 4 years ago. It's a cheap unit, but it shows bottom definition, depth and temperature pretty acurately (I checked it against a guy with a side imaging unit in the water last year.

As far as finding fish - well I've never had very good success with that area because I still haven't figured out all the settings and how to make it work for the lakes I fish. With the old FF I have, I always kept it on the Fish Symbol ID because I didn't know it was better to leave that turned off... but it will show fish on it.

I just got the Humminbird 727 and I'm going to hook it up and try it out when I get it and then install it... I need to find a class on how to read and interpret sonar.

russ010 said:
With the old FF I have, I always kept it on the Fish Symbol ID because I didn't know it was better to leave that turned off... but it will show fish on it..

Why is it better to leave the ID off??

I guess because it leaves out the confusion of whether you are looking at debris and it picks it up as a fish... whereas, when you leave the ID off, you can see the actual arch or what represents the return of a fish.

I've seen it on a few forum posts on this site, and on bass resources. I'll look a little later and see if I can find the links.

Latest posts