I don't want to explode!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhumbertson

Reaction score
So I have a 14' Tracker Topper and I want to run power to my bow mount trolling motor. The problem is that the battery is in the starboard/stern side and the fuel tank (plastic) is on the port/stern side, and the pvc channel for the wiring from stern to bow is on the port side. Meaning I will have to run the wiring from the starboard to the port crossing really close to the fuel tank in order to reach the channel that runs to the bow. Confused yet? Again I really don't want to have a short then blow the back of the boat off and I don't really want to rely on a fuse only. Any suggestions or comments? Help me not blow the back of my boat off. Thank you in advance.

Based on that logic you might want to stay out of most vehicles that were built in the last 15 years or so since they run electricity right through the middle of the gas tank and they even go so far as to run an electric motor inside the gas tank. That's where most electric fuel pumps are located these days. :shock: As long as you use the proper size wire for the load it's going to carry and the insulation isn't cracked, cut, or otherwise damaged, you really don't have anything to worry about. You should have a breaker/fuse installed in the circuit, close to the power source and you might want to run your wires in some sort of protective conduit to the channel just to prevent the wires from being damaged.

like mentioned above, put a breaker at the battery and use the proper size wire for the length of the run. i like to go one size larger to ensure nothing happens. after watching an extension cord that was running an air compressor that i was using to paint a truck catch fire....... i learned quickly how to figure out amperage/length of power cord mean something. but you should be fine. my current setup is a jumper cable with the clamps cut off for my battery cable.

lovedr79 said:
like mentioned above, put a breaker at the battery and use the proper size wire for the length of the run. i like to go one size larger to ensure nothing happens. after watching an extension cord that was running an air compressor that i was using to paint a truck catch fire....... i learned quickly how to figure out amperage/length of power cord mean something. but you should be fine. my current setup is a jumper cable with the clamps cut off for my battery cable.

That's actually what I used on my 14' Topper to run the 24 volts from the two batteries in the bow to the 80lb MK Traxxis motor in the stern. Worked great!

I am using a 10ga extension cord (15 ft) to run my MK 40 lb trolling motor. Even put a heavy duty male 110 plug on the trolling motor wires to make swapping to another boat with the same setup a breeze. Wires don't even get warm after very long runs a full power. It is much larger wire than what was factory installed in my Alumicraft bass boat.

Have you considered moving or installing the battery in the bow area? This would solve several problems and give a better weight distribution as well.........Jerry

Latest posts