I need a carb! 1989 Evinrude/Johnson 35hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamalivin

Reaction score
Does anyone have a 1989 Johnson/Evinrude carb that I could purchase? I am trying to do the HP conversion and having a hard time finding one.

Heres a link to a website. They have tons of parts even some of the older parts. They have never failed to have what I needed and they ship really fast. Hope it helps.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.html

I tried to do this too - boost my '79 Johnson 25 to a 35.
Just couldn't get it to run right - only to find out it had
some mechanical issues and gave up on it. Put all the original
stuff back on it and gave it to my brother.

I don't know how interchangeable the years are, but,
If you have the part numbers, I have the 35hp carb and
the 35hp intake manifold. full rebuild kit in the carb.
They are in a box of other parts, so, if you can come up with
the part numbers you need, I probably have them.

I appreciate that offer johnny!
I finally found out today what carb years would work for me. I have done a copious amount of research into this, and I have discovered that It works best on the late 80's into the early 90's 20/25/35 motors with through hub exhaust. I hate that you did not have the success with your application! I will post a outcome, be it good or bad, but I have high hopes that it will work out. The right carb was extremely hard to find. I have helped friends track down parts in the past, but this one was by far the hardest find to date. It took me almost 3 months looking everyday, and I finally found the dang thing off a site in Canada.

Johnny said:
I tried to do this too - boost my '79 Johnson 25 to a 35.
Just couldn't get it to run right - only to find out it had
some mechanical issues and gave up on it. Put all the original
stuff back on it and gave it to my brother.

I don't know how interchangeable the years are, but,
If you have the part numbers, I have the 35hp carb and
the 35hp intake manifold. full rebuild kit in the carb.
They are in a box of other parts, so, if you can come up with
the part numbers you need, I probably have them.

Does the conversion just require a carb swap or does it also include other stuff like exhaust tube, reed shims, etc? Do you also have to advance the timing? Just curious.

Bama, when you get the carb and manifold,
dry fit them together (with bolts) and use a rotary file
or dremel tool to make a smooth transition
between the two to ensure a smooth air flow.
The one I did had a 1/8" lip that did not mate
correctly and took a little grinding and sanding
but looked great after it was done.
make sure all the parts fit together firmly as designed.

good luck !!

wmk0002 said:
Does the conversion just require a carb swap or does it also include other stuff like exhaust tube, reed shims, etc? Do you also have to advance the timing? Just curious.

It depends on what HP and year , but I do know from my research if you are running a 1986-1994 20/25 HP all you are supposed to need is a new intake and carb for the corresponding year 30/35 carb. Some people have done it with a 25 hp intake and bore the hole and made it work that way, but the cavity inside isn't the same as a 35 hp, so that is the reason I decided to find a 35 hp intake. There is a thread on this forum I will attempt to link that goes into great detail. In the aforementioned years, I know from my research that the only difference is the intake and carb. I have crossed referenced part numbers and found that they are the same for the power head, drive shaft, foot gear case components, exc...

video of the conversion on the listed year range- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmckQllkBc4

Here is a link to the forum here on the conversion- https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23898

Latest posts