I was the boat ramp idiot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice logical comments on this subject.
Now if we can all just remain calm the next time some guy does something stupid and hogs the boat ramp.

I have no patience for inconsiderate people (loading their boat in the middle of the launch, backing down the middle of a double strip launch etc.) but I'll walk over and help anyone who is obviously new or struggling.

I always stop in an area out of the way, unless there is a line at the ramp to launch then I just get in line and I go and make sure the boat is ready to launch with minimum time on the ramp. This is the most courteous thing to do and it always amazes me how many people wait until they are on the ramp to remove straps, load coolers, etc.
I usually just tie the bow line to the winch stand and then back the boat in and let it float off, then just pull up enough to grab the rope, run over and secure to the dock so I can park my truck and get back and out of the way as quick as possible.

Yep, I've had a few incidents.. once I ripped the entire bow eye off the hull of my Starcraft when I forgot to unhook the safety chain. Backed down, hit the brakes a little to jerk the boat off the bunks, boat did not float. So I did it again, only harder... bow eye broke clean off. The first time I retrieved my Sylvan I did a good one... pulled the boat out and pulled the plug, strapped it down and noticed I hadn't winched all the way to the bow stop. I pulled the transom straps off but forgot to remove the transom saver because I never used one on my Starcraft. I floated the boat and winched it tight to the bow stop but pulling out it snapped my transom saver like a toothpick.

I'm sure I'll have more as life goes on...

hipster dufus said:
i will share one of my secrets. go to walmart and pick up some high rubber boots. i use them in the cooler months to launch. dont get wet and i can take em off easy. have helped out way too many folks to count.

X2

Great minds think alike! I use them when I'm pulling the boat out -- wade in to hook the bow eye and winch it up snug. I've also helped out a few guys who were trying to do the balancing act on the tongue to get to the winch strap they forgot to unsnap. I've seen guys use waders, but I just have a pair of basic cheap rubber boots.

I am usually solo but I can get in and out pretty fast. BTW, there is no way I'm going to drive the boat onto the trailer because with my lack of balance climbing over the bow, etc is likely to show up as a funny YouTube video. :LOL2:

Always prep your boat for launch before you are on the ramp, give yourself time to think about what you are doing and walk around the boat a few times and check it over. Do this in an out of the way place. I unhook the strap but my boat will not slide off the bunks easily and I tie the bow line to the winch stand. works great.

Once the boat is in the water move it to the farthest end of the dock so that another person could launch after you. Nothing grips me more than folks that launch and tie off at the beginning of the dock when there is 40' of dock sticking out into the water. you have to sit and wait for them to move.

onthewater102 said:
I have no patience for inconsiderate people (loading their boat in the middle of the launch, backing down the middle of a double strip launch etc.) but I'll walk over and help anyone who is obviously new or struggling.

I posted this experience about a year or so ago on a similar thread. I was coming into the ramp and this group of guys had their pontoon boat and pickup parked sideways on the ramp blocking two lanes while they leisurely loaded the pontoon. This is a long four lane ramp with docks. Most people drive down then flip a U-turn to back their trailer in. It wasn't busy that day and there were two other lanes but they were still in the way of anyone bringing a trailer down. Really makes you wonder.

Summertime is the worse for the ramp hogs. I've commented in a nice way how they block the ramp when they prep their boat for 15 minutes backed down the ramp. Since I did it in a nice way I could see it made an impact and they hadn't really thought about that way before. Honestly I think most people don't intenially try to be stupid it just happens naturally :)

For some REAL entertainment, just go chill at a busy launch ramp on Memorial Day. People who haven't launched or retrieved for a while can be a little rusty at it =D> . In my 20's we used to sit by the ramps and hang out facing the ramp with scorecards (like they use at monster truck events 1-10) to rate the mistakes. Of course we'd jump in to help anyone that needed it. Nobody ever got mad at us once we ran down to help. The OP would have averaged out at a 7, nice work and good save!

i've done that as well.politely remind them to do the prep before you get to the launching point.as for rubber boots,that's one of the wifes jobs.my big butt goes to the stern while she pushes us off.funny how that worked out :LOL2:

surfman said:
Always prep your boat for launch before you are on the ramp, give yourself time to think about what you are doing and walk around the boat a few times and check it over. Do this in an out of the way place. I unhook the strap but my boat will not slide off the bunks easily and I tie the bow line to the winch stand. works great.

Once the boat is in the water move it to the farthest end of the dock so that another person could launch after you. Nothing grips me more than folks that launch and tie off at the beginning of the dock when there is 40' of dock sticking out into the water. you have to sit and wait for them to move.

Good advice and I always pull out of everyone's way to get my boat ready to launch. Mistakes happen when folks rush. If you are new to loading and unloading a boat, just take your time and think about what you are doing. Before long, your loading and unloading routine will be second nature. As far as the folks that do things inconsiderate like tying their boat in the way of the next guy, I've about decided they aren't inconsiderate, they're just stupid. Pretty sure I'm right about this.

like the guy that ties his boat up right at the launch while he goes to park, instead of at the end of the dock,so it's almost impossible for the next guy to launch.i also watched a guy park his car on the single lane launch,put a kayak on the roof and then wanders away for almost half an hour??a kayak??there was a line of people ready to kill.

Some good stories here, and, as is the style of this site...we are a pretty forgiving bunch.

I've made every mistake listed here, at least ONCE (or more).

A couple of things that have helped me.

The checklist is on my phone... so I always have it with me. I look at it before I get out of the van to launch, and again before I make the final trip to the boat after launching. Can't tell you how many times things like SunGlasses etc. get caught at that last check.

Since I am old and launch alone 99% of the time..I use the "long-rope" technique.

Before I get to the ramp, I prep the boat.
The long rope is coiled; left on the foredeck.. One end is permanently attached to the bow cleat and the other end is loose-looped onto the trailer at the winch.
I leave the bow strap attached until the stern is over the water.
Remove the bow strap.
I back her in, and just touch the brakes.
She slides off quickly (no doubt due to the PVC Gutter Downspouts that cover the bunks). The long rope allows her to slide 20/30 feet away.
I get out of the van;
grab the rope;
clear it from the trailer uprights,
and haul the boat to the dock.
Put the van away;
check the checklist one more time;
and go fishing.

You younger guys might be able to climb aboard and power the boat to the dock. I can't do that anymore. This system has worked well for many years.

richg99

CedarRiverScooter said:
At least you didn't leave the plug out like I did last year.

Guy did this Saturday. I backed mine down and he started hollering asking if I'd move and told his wife to get the truck!

I pulled up and watched his wife try to back the truck down with little to no success, so he asked me to do it. Hopped in his truck and slammed it down there for him as his rear was getting lower and lower. Bilge pump wouldn't keep up. He ran the boat up quick, hooked the safety chain on and said "go, go, go!"

Got him out and all was well, Whew.

Then I went and caught a cooler full of nice crappies :lol:

I saw a group of young guys and girls who left the plug out. They made the mistake of pulling the entire flooded sailboat up the ramp.,..on an ALUMINUM trailer. That trailer bent in half due to the excess weight.

I agree that if you haven't done some of these things you haven't been a boater very long or have been very lucky. ProduceMan, that was a good story but if I did something like that I'd be the geriatric guy on the news that was beat up at the boat ramp! I pissed somebody off once at the ramp, don't know who but I went to the restroom and when I returned they had drawn a pecker on the side of my pontoon tube, true story. I don't know what I did, or who it was, but I guess I did something to somebody. I usually launch my boat by myself. I also have one of the trolling motors with spot lock that runs off a remote. I saw a commercial on tv where a guy had one and would launch his boat and use the remote to hold the boat in position while he parked his truck so I thought I'd give it a try. I launched the boat and was pulling away when I realized that the remote was on the boat. That was the last time I tried that for a while! Now I carry the remote hanging off my neck. I still get some pretty bizarre looks from people when I'm on my elevated deck driving the boat from up there.

Forgotten drail plug. Check
Forgoten transom straps. Check
Left key in the truck. Check
Boat not tied when luanched sending the boat unocupied down river. Check
Hitting the trailer so wrong I hit my truck. Check
Dragging engine that was left down on the ramp. Check
Smashing trailer tail lights with the boat while retrieving. Check
Pulled out to fast ripping off the licence plate. Check
Running trailer fender into gas station concrete filled poles. Check
Jackknifing and bending trailer tongue and damaging truck. Check

Making perfect trailer launching and landing when I’m the only person to see for miles. Every time.

By the grace of God I retrieved while 25 bass tournament boats were launching like jet fighters on a very windy day. Wife and dog were barking and it was so crowded I had to come in at angle thru the maze of boats. The wind really blows these tin boats and I did not want to hit any of the fancy bass bling boats but I swong it around just right and nailed that trailer with nothing but net. Thats the one I choose to remember because you definatly pay your dues learning to get it right.

bcbouy said:
like the guy that ties his boat up right at the launch while he goes to park, instead of at the end of the dock,so it's almost impossible for the next guy to launch.i also watched a guy park his car on the single lane launch,put a kayak on the roof and then wanders away for almost half an hour??a kayak??there was a line of people ready to kill.

Ah man, my ultimate pet peeve! I fish a lot of backwater areas around Wheeler wildlife refuge in Alabama and there are a few places to launch that aren't paved ramps but rather just cut outs into the bank down to the water. People will launch a boat and then just leave it parked with their trailer just barely out of the water. There are enough similar spots it doesn't keep me from launching elsewhere but sometimes it keeps me from going to the locations I wanted to.