Ideas for 1648 Lowe Big Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinNC

Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas for a larger deck? I've seen several decking options here and there, but very few for the Big Jon.

I have a 1988 50hp mariner with a tiller conversion on it. I think I am going to put a console back in it and go back to wheel steering. I thought Id like the open floor plan (no front bench), but there is no storeage and everything just seems strewn about. So, any Big Jon mods on here? I searched a while lastnight, but didnt have much luck with that model. The search terms were very generic for this board lol.

Also just wanted to thank the site for all the wealth of information posted here! I've wore the search function slap out I think.

I had a 16' Lowe Big Jon. Great boat!

I had very little time prior to my first fishing trip with the boat, so I slapped in a very simple front deck that ran between the middle bench seat and the little mini-deck up front. I put a swivel chair right in the middle. I used some 2x4s I had in the garage and a sheet of plywood. It took about three hours to put the deck in.

I had planned to rip it out and re-do it after the trip, but the I liked it so much I just left it in. Sometimes simple is best.

IMG_0181.jpg

I like that. I wouldnt mind the lower deck if there was a way to incorporate all the lower space for storage, and I got a different trolling motor than what I have now. Right now it has a bow mount tiller handle trolling motor on it. A pain with no real deck space!

I am missing the front bench. I also want to see if I can find a spare console from another boat to put in mine. Im tired of tiller handle!

Latest posts