Ignition switch covering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I recently had to rewire my whole ignition switch on my 25 Mercury remote. It's mind boggling how many wires come from the ignition even on this small, simple boat. Battery hot, ground, magneto, elec. choke, start, accessory... I would say there were 10 or 12 wires coming from the switch. Anyway, the ignition switch I removed, which I believe was the original from Starcraft, all the contacts on the back were protected by what looked like hot glue. Basically they completely covered all the terminals with a pile of hot glue. Is this the suggested way to protect and cover all these terminals? I can't wrap it all with electrical tape, it won't separate the contacts or protect them fully. Curious what the best way to finish the wiring is?

It's a fairly common method to just seal up the blade terminals and give it a little corrosion protection... better than not using any imo...

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-LTB-400-Electrical-Waterproof/dp/B000FPAN2K

Use dielectric grease on the terminal/connection before affixing the end, plus when connection to the screw. Then apply LIQUID electric tape - in multiple LIGHT coats - drying between coats - to
Cover any exposed metal. Works like a charm! The light coats allows it to build up ... when I had to take one apart once, the whole thing just peeled right off, slick as a whistle!

TIP - Do NOT By either at a marine store, you can get an 8-ounce tube at an automotive store for cheaper than a 4-ounce tube from the boat store. Big box hardware stores sell the liquid e-tape.

Latest posts