Insect control on the water.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thermacell at the front and back of the boat...

Bugs dont generally bother me, but at certain times of the year, Listerine works wonders for keeping gnats and mosquitos away... you get used the smell on your clothes after a while and your nose will stop burning lol (but seriously, it does work)

Hands down the best for me is a product my Johnson wax called Skintastic insect repellent. Its a lotion thats non greasy... I use it not only in the boat but as a Bicycle rider some of the trail we use are along the Missouri river and there are lots of skeeters there.. Always works for me.

Be carefull with Skintastic, Skinsosoft, etc. DEET is the active ingredient that bugs dont like. Sugar has the ooposite effect, it attracks bugs. Check the ratio of sugar to DEET in those products. Then check the percentage of DEET in all the outdoor products designed to repel bugs.

I too have a bottle of Ben's 100% DEET. Its 20 years old and still half full. I took it out of the brim so you could see how much the bottle has faded over time. :mrgreen:

DEET works great, however Im looking for a better way. That thermacell looks interesting. Ill have to do some research into it. Anybody use incense?

Your propable wondering how I use so little? I put a drop behind each ear, in my elbow, and behind the knee. Mostly my bug repellent is smoke from a campfire, works the best. Hence my inquiry into incense.

Attachments

• sort 016.jpg
    sort 016.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 262
  • sort 015.jpg
    sort 015.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 262