installing a 12v outlet wire

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of installing my TM mount (https://s240.photobucket.com/user/MikeA57/library/TM Mount?sort=3&page=1) and I had the mounting plate drilled to install the power plug for the TM and also for a 12v outlet. I'm wondering though about cabling for the outlet. I plan on running a separate wire from the battery (in the rear) to the front of the boat. I figure I'll mostly be using it to plug in a cellphone charger but there will be occasions where I might plug in a 12v spotlight. I don't really know what the power draw will be at this point. I've got some 14/2 wire that I had planned on using but I'm not sure it would be heavy enough to power a spotlight for an extended time. I looked to see what the draw is on the 1,000,000 CP light I've got but couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure it's discontinued now.

Thanks,

Mike

OK, I did a search for 12v outlet wiring before I posted but after posting my question I found Catfan84's Thread titled "Gauge?". In it Richg99 suggested the engineeringtoolbox.com website. I checked it out and I think I'll be fine with the 14/2 wiring. I'll probably end up getting one of those newer rechargeable spotlights anyway so I won't be drawing as much current as with a plug in one.

I would recommend you make sure you go with a Marine grade tinned wire for that run

Yeah - standard copped stranded will work - for a white.

I think 14/2 will work for you. Although you are right about those spotlights, they can draw a lot of current. My buddy started a fire in his truck dash using one a while back. I have a 200k candlepower light which is plenty (for me) and compact.
Tim

Latest posts