Interesting week

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL8Jeff

Reaction score
I was able to get out on the river Tue and Thu this week and to my surprise caught several varieties of fish. I just go out with lures, I don't have a fish finder, trolling motor or any charts. I enjoy the random anchoring spot or floating down the river. I caught several smallmouth in the 14-16" range, a 21-22" catfish, a small striper and a smaller smallmouth. A couple weeks ago a caught a walleye on the same lure as some of the smallmouth and the catfish. The catfish coming up to the surface in 5' of water still surprises me.

IMG_20240521_150927589_HDR.jpgIMG_20240521_170054191_HDR.jpgIMG_20240523_163801254.jpgIMG_20240523_164627286.jpgIMG_20240523_165145455.jpgIMG_20240523_175545001.jpg

! assume the river is the Delaware, eventually you will add some trout and muskies to the mix and shad are always fun.
Make sure you have a measuring device with you if you plan on keeping fish and also make sure to check the regs. since the river has its own set of regulations. Another reminder, a flotation device "MUST BE WORN" during a certain timeframe on boats under 16', on the river it's probably best to have one on at all times, quite a few people have drowned in that river over the years.
Just reminding you about the same things that I have to keep in mind, I've fished the Delaware many times over the years. Oh, and BTW, I picked my screen name from going "overboard" backwards in the river one night when one of those clamp on seats on a buddy's boat let loose while I was twisting around to get the net, let's just say that was an interesting experience!
Enjoy the river, it will be good to you!

! assume the river is the Delaware, eventually you will add some trout and muskies to the mix and shad are always fun.
Make sure you have a measuring device with you if you plan on keeping fish and also make sure to check the regs. since the river has its own set of regulations. Another reminder, a flotation device "MUST BE WORN" during a certain timeframe on boats under 16', on the river it's probably best to have one on at all times, quite a few people have drowned in that river over the years.
Just reminding you about the same things that I have to keep in mind, I've fished the Delaware many times over the years. Oh, and BTW, I picked my screen name from going "overboard" backwards in the river one night when one of those clamp on seats on a buddy's boat let loose while I was twisting around to get the net, let's just say that was an interesting experience!
Enjoy the river, it will be good to you!
Just curious, do any of you fish near the gap? I do see a few boats and kayaks when I travel down and back to NJ.

I don't get up to the Gap, I keep my boat at a dock in Washington's Crossing (Titusville NJ) area. I throw back all the fish I catch so they can get bigger. I've seen a couple of smaller muskies (and northern pike) over the years but I've never caught any shad and if you see them coming back down stream after they spawn, you wouldn't want to catch them either.

It seems like most of the people that drown on the Delaware are people swimming along the shoreline. The dropoffs and current can surprise them if they are not familiar with the area. Sometimes it's people in canoes or small boats that go out when the river is running high which doesn't make sense. You don't go out in something small when the current is running swift. With this being a holiday weekend, everyone stay safe. I'm not sure if I'm going to get out this weekend, we just spent a couple of hours at the vet yesterday as our rescue dog took a downturn and is not doing well.

Layla_couch3.jpg

I was able to get out on the river Tue and Thu this week and to my surprise caught several varieties of fish. I just go out with lures, I don't have a fish finder, trolling motor or any charts. I enjoy the random anchoring spot or floating down the river. I caught several smallmouth in the 14-16" range, a 21-22" catfish, a small striper and a smaller smallmouth. A couple weeks ago a caught a walleye on the same lure as some of the smallmouth and the catfish. The catfish coming up to the surface in 5' of water still surprises me.

View attachment 120670View attachment 120671View attachment 120672View attachment 120673View attachment 120674View attachment 120675
Just plain ole fishing like I did in my youth, nothing fancy, just relaxing fun !
Gosh I miss those days....

I don't get up to the Gap, I keep my boat at a dock in Washington's Crossing (Titusville NJ) area. I throw back all the fish I catch so they can get bigger. I've seen a couple of smaller muskies (and northern pike) over the years but I've never caught any shad and if you see them coming back down stream after they spawn, you wouldn't want to catch them either.

It seems like most of the people that drown on the Delaware are people swimming along the shoreline. The dropoffs and current can surprise them if they are not familiar with the area. Sometimes it's people in canoes or small boats that go out when the river is running high which doesn't make sense. You don't go out in something small when the current is running swift. With this being a holiday weekend, everyone stay safe. I'm not sure if I'm going to get out this weekend, we just spent a couple of hours at the vet yesterday as our rescue dog took a downturn and is not doing well.

View attachment 120681
How sad, good looking pup,

Nice day on the water! Just curious, what lure did you use? If it is giving away a secret, won't hurt my feeling if you don't want to say. :)

Nice day on the water! Just curious, what lure did you use? If it is giving away a secret, won't hurt my feeling if you don't want to say. :)

I use the Mann's baby 1 minus crankbaits in different colors. They run pretty shallow but seem to draw a lot of fish up to the surface. The other lure is a Yozuri or Yamamoto striper lure. I caught some smallmouth, the walleye and the catfish on the striper lure and the striper and other smallmouth on the crankbait. Go figure.

We think the dog is dealing with a lot of pain after she did a faceplant coming down 2 steps from a landing to the hallway. She can't stand up in the morning right now so the meds help after they kick in. But she's a little heavy at 80 lbs so she is still having issues walking.

IMG_20240507_100020133_HDR.jpg

Nice going on the Big D. Had an invite to fish the Delaware today on my buddies boat South of lampertville for stripers. Prior commitment so I had to turn him down. Heads up.Try to keep those fish off the carpet. It wipes away their slime, not good for them.

I fished the west branch in NY once. It was the shad run and they were everywhere. I even managed to catch two. Nice fight.

Nice. Just spent 2 weeks in northern MN. 19" on this guy (but no catfish up there--although the walleye bite was excellent the first week.)View attachment 120679

Nice fish! I think the biggest smally I've caught in the Delaware was around 17-18". I went out today and anchored in the shade to relax and made a few casts before letting the lure just hang in the current. We had some rain Thursday that brought the river up a little and stirred it some so I wasn't really trying too hard. I pulled up the anchor and made a bunch of casts as I was floating downstream back to the dock. No bites at all until the last cast when I was at the upstream neighbors dock and landed another 14.5" smally. My brother went out in his kayak and had a nice one on before it snapped his old fishing line. This is definitely the most action I've ever had in April and May on the river, so that's a nice bonus.

Nice fish! I think the biggest smally I've caught in the Delaware was around 17-18".
I think there is such focus on walleye in MN that we tend to let the smallies go and they get big because of it. I don't know anyone who eats them. I've caught numerous over 20-22" but never bigger. And it wasn't a bad walleye weekend, either!

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 0
I think there is such focus on walleye in MN that we tend to let the smallies go and they get big because of it. I don't know anyone who eats them. I've caught numerous over 20-22" but never bigger. And it wasn't a bad walleye weekend, either!
IMO: Walleyes are the best tasting freshwater gamefish. :)

Latest posts