Is there something I haven't considered?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ifcyou,have a friend or buddy make him a eal. Youbpark it and leave it at his house and yall can share it.the day beforevyoire gonna use it let him take your car and you take his vehicle....

I second the kayak idea. I have a pair that we used to use ALL the time, until I got a Gheenoe. They are very car-topable (THERE, it is a word in common use now) and not difficult to load by yourself. Also to consider is one of those old Coleman fiberplastic jon boats. They were very light and about 14ft long. I see one pop up on craigslist every now and then.

Or you could look into one of those really nifty porta boats. https://www.porta-bote.com/index.php
Very car-topable (I used it again!!!))

Goosegas said:
Brine said:
Not sure how often you plan on going, but have you considered renting a boat? 16ft aluminum boats with an outboard go for about $50 a day + gas used. Might be good if you're thinking once or twice a month.

I wish the rates you quoted were the same here. The only local lake which has boat rentals charges $125.00 for a half day. Gas is included but nothing else. A guide isn't much better wanting $400.00 for a 1/2 day trip. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It might help some to offer up useful info if we all knew what part of the world you live in

spotco2 said:
Goosegas said:
Brine said:
Not sure how often you plan on going, but have you considered renting a boat? 16ft aluminum boats with an outboard go for about $50 a day + gas used. Might be good if you're thinking once or twice a month.

I wish the rates you quoted were the same here. The only local lake which has boat rentals charges $125.00 for a half day. Gas is included but nothing else. A guide isn't much better wanting $400.00 for a 1/2 day trip. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It might help some to offer up useful info if we all knew what part of the world you live in

I stated in 2 places, including the original post to which you replied, that I live in Florida.

The porta-botes are really cool, but I've never used them or heard any personal experience. A guy had one for sale here locally and i thought hard about it. Have you looked into inflatable pontoons? They'll have a nice wide base to keep it stable, and I've even seen them with a transom for mounting an outboard or trolling motor. Plus it should fold up nicely into a car. Limited room to move around, but there's not much room to move in a jon boat either. the pontoons will have a little storage, and seats, plus they look like fun. let us know what you decide on, I hope you find just what you need.

My first fishing "boat" was a Hobie Kona two seat kayak. I slowly modded it with rod holders, fish finder, anchor system, etc. After buying my fiberglass and tin, I finally sold it to a guy in your situation. He had roof racks on a small Honda. I think the kayak was as long as the car!

I have always had a truck or an SUV though. I can't imagine not having a utility vehicle.

I 2nd the idea of putting a tow hitch on and remove it when done.

I bought one to put on my 06 Malibu 4cyl. It bolted right on and the wiring just snaps on so it could be easily removed. I tow a 14/48 Flat Bottom Jon about 10 miles to the lake.

I 1st towed my boat 75+ miles from my parents house to my house and other thAn the gas mileage went way down, it did just fine.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but there are a couple of different companies that make foldable boats which are super easy to transport. I know it sounds like a bad idea but my friend has a couple of these for dingies off his sail boat (for supply transport etc) and we've actually fished them off and inshore and they work quite well. They are simple not a lot of ammediaties but are cheap and fish. Here's a link just a thought.

https://www.instaboat.com/produits.html

Looking at the link above reminded me of another option... A Pirouge. If you are handy with a few hand tools and can fiberglass or apint, you can make one for less than $200. I made one a few years ago and it was great! I never weighted it, but would guess 30 or 40lbs. Surprisingly stable too. You can find plans for them ALL over the internet. Some are free, some charge $10-$20.

Ya I spent a few months in Louisanna one summer, mostly fishing off shore but also some inshore which was all on a Pirouge...and not the most stable one...but it was a great time and caught more redfish in a summer than I have in the last few years (due to school). :cry:

I like the idea of an inflatable RIB like a Zodiac.

I also looked into some of the SeaEagle products pretty extensively. I liked this one as it seemed super easy to set-up and tear down. Takes up to a 4hp outboard https://www.seaeagle.com/FoldCat.aspx

Zodiac style boats can handle larger motors. Some have hard floors, some are inflatable floors.

Either would be a good option if you are looking for a more stable fishing platform then a canoe.

Lots of great replies. You are RIGHT.... being in Florida as well we DO have gators. I was out in the last G3 I owned a 1756 and came up alongside one that was an easy 13' to 14'. We moved up to a 1966CC lol and so far, the only gators we come across are the babies at 6 to 8'. None the less, I don't really want one in the boat nor I in the water. Tends to make for a fairly bad day :LOL2:

Latest posts