It’s that time of the year! 100 questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
1. My MinnKota 70lb Maxxum is 11 years old, still going strong. Thinking about dropping down to a 45lb troller because I generally get from Point A to Point B on the outboard now —- NJ lakes vs SC lakes.
Opinions?

2. Need some plastic covers for trolling motor plug. G3 sez they’re not available anymore.
Options?

3. Please tell me changing the lower unit oil is as easy as it appears on the tubes.

4. Also thinking about replacing bilge and livewell pumps.
Old as the boat, good idea?

5. Thinking about carpeting or that plastic stuff down on the deck.
Something a less than mechanically inclined person can do?

Thanks!

1. My MinnKota 70lb Maxxum is 11 years old, still going strong. Thinking about dropping down to a 45lb troller because I generally get from Point A to Point B on the outboard now —- NJ lakes vs SC lakes.
Opinions?

There is a lot of new technology over the past 11 years. If that is appealing then upgrade. Otherwise, if it ain't broke. . .

I have the same issue with my Helix 7 FF. It works great but is old technology. Doesn't even have CHIRP (not that I really know what that is). Every time I think about upgrading I think shoot, it still works fine and I manage to catch fish from time to time.

3. Please tell me changing the lower unit oil is as easy as it appears on the tubes.

I always have a hard time aligning the lower drain plug to get it back in. Otherwise, it is a piece of cake. Oh, and it seems like I can't avoid stripping the screwdriver slots on the plugs. I replace them every three cycles or so.

4. Also thinking about replacing bilge and livewell pumps.
Old as the boat, good idea?

If they ain't broke. . .

5. Thinking about carpeting or that plastic stuff down on the deck.
Something a less than mechanically inclined person can do?

I've had both. I really like the vinyl much better. Have installed carpet on a boat. Pretty easy. Haven't installed vinyl but how hard can it be (famous last words).

6. On-board chargers?
Worth it or not?

I like mine. Get back from a day of fishing. Plug it in the smart charger for the TM battery. Ready to go next trip. I actually have two on-board. One big heavy expensive one under the console for the TM battery. That one stays plugged in most of the time. One small inexpensive one under the splash well for the starter motor so I don't show up at the ramp with a dead starter battery (that emergency pull start rope needs to stay stored in the glovebox). I usually plug this in the day before if I haven't been out in awhile.

[i[highlight=yellow]]My MinnKota 70lb Maxxum is 11 years old, still going strong. Thinking about dropping down to a 45lb troller because I generally get from Point A to Point B on the outboard now —- NJ lakes vs SC lakes.
Opinions?[/highlight][/i]

70#
pros:
1. its 24 volts...if you figure using Ohms Law, you are only pulling half the current, but your batteries last MUCH longer, (some sources say 4x as long)
2. runs all day long even in windy conditions
3. its already paid for
cons:
1. requires 2 batteries, so there's a significant weight difference
45#
pros:
1. only 1 battery= lighter load
cons:
1. 1/2 the voltage=twice the current! (battery discharges quicker)
2. windy conditions kills a battery VERY quickly

Just my opinions..... (all except the part about Ohms Law, that part is fact) :D