Jay415's Alumacraft MV1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! It was fun. It was nice to finally get out and put some fish in the boat.

I also have some new mods I'm adding. I ordered a ram mount for the FF, so i can position it in any direction. I started installing the navigation lights. Adding stern light but I can't find bow lights I like. And after fishing in the dark last night I decided I need some deck lighting. I was thinking of putting some led strips. Not sure yet.

Nice catch Jay, your fish beat my 1st fish in the boat. Mine were dinks.

I'm always finding stuff I want to add to change on the tin, does it ever end? :roll:

Hey Jay, I have the same boat as you (MV1648) and I'm in the process of modifying mine. I really like what you've done with yours and I have a quick question. I've heard of people cutting out the top of the back seat, removing the foam, and then using a piece of plywood as the new seat. Thereby adding another area for storage. Did you ever consider this? If so, is there a reason why you chose not to? If anyone else has done this I'd be interested in your input as well.

kustomguitarist said:
Hey Jay, I have the same boat as you (MV1648) and I'm in the process of modifying mine. I really like what you've done with yours and I have a quick question. I've heard of people cutting out the top of the back seat, removing the foam, and then using a piece of plywood as the new seat. Thereby adding another area for storage. Did you ever consider this? If so, is there a reason why you chose not to? If anyone else has done this I'd be interested in your input as well.

I didn't consider it at all because I purchased the boat new and it has a 5 year warranty. Any modifications that are made that will affect the boat's structural integrity (removing supports, ribs or seats) or removal of any foam will void warranty. Many people do exactly as you mentioned, Some add foam other places for what they remove and some don't. Foam doesn't assist with flotation in normal use. Foam is there to keep you afloat if you get fully swamped (another reason I would not want to remove it)

Jay415 said:
I didn't consider it at all because I purchased the boat new and it has a 5 year warranty. Any modifications that are made that will affect the boat's structural integrity (removing supports, ribs or seats) or removal of any foam will void warranty. Many people do exactly as you mentioned, Some add foam other places for what they remove and some don't. Foam doesn't assist with flotation in normal use. Foam is there to keep you afloat if you get fully swamped (another reason I would not want to remove it)

Thanks for the quick response. That's a good point. I still have 3 years left on my warranty and I've already had to use it twice (at the end of each season to have leaking rivets replaced). Both times it has been all 12 rivets that go through into the center seat storage/livewell area. I'm considering drilling those rivets out and replacing with stainless bolts, washers, and lock nuts. Ugh it's a tough decision whether giving up my warranty, but I could really use the additional storage space.

First day fishing in the rain. Everything holding up well and bilge worked great!

3lb. 2oz.
IMG_1179.jpg

2lb.
IMG_1197.jpg

Found this little guy swimming along side my boat today.
IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

=D> Nice fish. I'm jealous. Cute turtle. They make good pets but they dirty a tank quickly.

A few more fish from yesterday. We ended up pond hopping and fishing 3 different lakes! Didn't take pics of most of the fish, but we fish from sun up to sundown!
IMG_1809.jpg

PhotoMay1173747PM.jpg

PhotoMay1171737PM.jpg

PhotoMay1171538PM.jpg

PhotoMay1170437PM.jpg

PhotoMay1165858PM.jpg

PhotoMay1165644PM.jpg

I'm pretty new here so I have a stupid question. The cleats (looks like 1 1/2" x 1 1/2") attached to the back of the boat to hold up the hinged platform...are they just screwed in from outside the boat?

grover said:
I'm pretty new here so I have a stupid question. The cleats (looks like 1 1/2" x 1 1/2") attached to the back of the boat to hold up the hinged platform...are they just screwed in from outside the boat?

I used 2"x3"'s and cut the top the angle of the transom to make them level. then they are screwed through to the transom. The transom is solid wood, about 1.5-2" thick, sandwiched between aluminum.

Jay,

Love the build and im totally new to this. How much extra weight do you estimate was added? What are weight limitations on your rig? Im a big boy and deathly afraid of putting to much weight on mine. I have an 05 Gen3 16' flat bottom, specs say 510lbs for people. Any recommendations or things to avoid?

thanks in advance

My capacity 1010lbs. With everything I added. Wood, carpet, wiring, batteries, fuel, 2 TMs, OB motor, etc. I added 400-500 lbs. it adds up quickly. Be careful with your additions.

I haven't been able to get out that much. Went out with a bunch of bass buddies with about 12 boats. My boat alone pulled over 100 bass into the boat for the day. Nothing huge but they were on fire! My biggest was on topwater just before we left. We fished all day sun up to sundown, just didn't want to leave. Mid-day a crazy thunder storm rolled through bringing 1/2" hail! Ran the bilge pump for over 2 min! Worked great though.

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jay11762/NY%20Bass/Whaley%202012/1ca74f62.mp4

Also got the boy out Father's Day weekend. He didn't last very long! Lol

04bfa46d.jpg

b23e75fc.jpg

S00263.png

Sounds like a fun day and looks like you caught some nice fish also. Those are great day's when you get into them like that!! I've been caught in the rain while fishing, but never in a hail storm :shock: .

gillhunter said:
Sounds like a fun day and looks like you caught some nice fish also. Those are great day's when you get into them like that!! I've been caught in the rain while fishing, but never in a hail storm :shock: .

Yea that hail hurt! :lol:

Very nice that your son took Dad fishing on Father's Day. He see he caught fish but I didn't see that dad caught any. :) Did dad even get a chance to fish?

The one fish he caught was pretty nice, the other look to be about his size. :lol:

Hail while out fishing with no place to hide doesn't sound like fun at all.