JetJon Conversion - SeaDoo SP into 1236 Fisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
painlesstom said:
Now I've got people thinking I can build one for them too, I am not that energetic! .. lol I will say that if I had to to it all over again, I would.

I know what you mean. But I would actually like to get into building boats like this. One of the biggest hangups was the fact that it's such a one-off custom kind of thing, how the heck do you get it insured? No one will buy a boat that they can't get a warranty or insurance on.

This past summer, I had a survey done on my boat, to assess its condition and value, for insurance. The value was placed between 8100 and 9300 dollars, and this is a 15 year old hull! Geico insured me for $11K.

But more importantly, the survey, and the insurance proves that my boat meets or exceeds ABYC and NMMA standards. Which basically means if someone wanted me to build a boat like mine, and they were to ask "does it meet manufacturing standards?" I can show them the certification for my boat, and say "yes, it does." I think that's an important step in the process, for sure.

I envision a day that I can have no less than 2 or 3 of these boats in production at any time. And what would be even more cool would be to get a TV show on it, like American Chopper, except, we'd call it "American Jetboat" After all, I have appeared on the History Channel with Larry The Cable Guy. We actually did a version of American Jetboat, and put it on my youtube channel, but not really a lot of views, considering it's a year and a half old. I was hoping it would have caught on better than that. :? I guess people have a different idea of what constitutes 'entertainment' than we do. If it ain't honey boo-boo or dancing with the stars, it's not really considered entertainment for the masses. But I digress.

Now, we just need to figure out how to coordinate a JetJon gathering. :twisted:

Hey, now you're talking!! That would be a cool event! Jet jon builders could show off their builds, and could share ideas, designs, improvements and modifications with each other, and we could have some races, blasting over shoals, running winding stretches of rivers, etc. I'd be on board for that event! :mrgreen:

I often wonder how many boats are out there that have been built, and actually get used on a regular basis. I know there a plenty out there that were thrown together, or half finished, would be really cool to get a bunch of JetJon's together in one place to see all the different ideas that went into them.

Not sure how many are in existence. I know there's at least 1/2 a dozen people on this board who have built a jet jon. I'm sure there are many more out there that we don't know about. Also, not sure how many 4 stroke configurations there are, so far, my boat is the only one I've seen with a 4 stroke. I'd like to see all the various designs and hull configurations, maybe I could even get a few ideas for future improvements and modifications. My boat has a lot of bells and whistles, but I'll bet someone out there has even more than me!

Anyhow, once again, great job on the build! =D> I know you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Like I said before, I've had more fun, and gone more places with my boat, than with all the other boats I've ever owned, combined.

bigwave said:
A fine job, looks like a very fun ride. I can't wait to see some big ole cats on the deck. I watched the video, my favorite part is the very beginning, you have two boot prints on the deck....now your just missing the fishing poles. =D> =D> :beer: :beer:

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to filling the bow with Catfish too. Nothing quite breaks in a new boat like some good ole' Catfish blood!!

fool4fish1226 said:
That is one cool ride - Great job :beer:

Thanks!!

PSG-1 said:
I know what you mean. But I would actually like to get into building boats like this. One of the biggest hangups was the fact that it's such a one-off custom kind of thing, how the heck do you get it insured? No one will buy a boat that they can't get a warranty or insurance on.

And even if those hangups could be addressed, there is also that liability issue when some genus decides to sue because he didn't know how to operate the boat safely.. Would be fun to be able to build them though. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and am sorry the build part is coming to an end. Who knows, I might have to build another one some day.

Anyhow, once again, great job on the build! =D> I know you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Like I said before, I've had more fun, and gone more places with my boat, than with all the other boats I've ever owned, combined.

I appreciate the pat on the back, thanks! There is nothing that can compare with building something, and then using it. I've built a few bikes, muscle cars and hot rods, and now this boat. I can say that the boat will be the most enjoyed, and appreciated, of any of my creations. It will help keep my freezer full of my favorite food!! :D

Today I added a cup holder to the front bench so I had a place to put my drink while fishing. Also added a grab bar to the side of the console to make the trip from drivers seat, to bow, easier without worrying about getting hung up on the reverse lever (almost did a couple times, just a matter of time before I went swimming because of that).

Attachments

• IMG_20130115_145234_955.jpg
    IMG_20130115_145234_955.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,319
  • JetJon3rd.JPG
    JetJon3rd.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_20130115_145217_091.jpg
    IMG_20130115_145217_091.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,319
painlesstom said:
I appreciate the pat on the back, thanks! There is nothing that can compare with building something, and then using it. I've built a few bikes, muscle cars and hot rods, and now this boat. I can say that the boat will be the most enjoyed, and appreciated, of any of my creations. It will help keep my freezer full of my favorite food!! :D

Today I added a cup holder to the front bench so I had a place to put my drink while fishing. Also added a grab bar to the side of the console to make the trip from drivers seat, to bow, easier without worrying about getting hung up on the reverse lever (almost did a couple times, just a matter of time before I went swimming because of that).

Grab bars are nice. I have a couple on my boat, just for something to hang on to when moving about. Also helps with being able to get in the boat when it's on the trailer.

I think you're already discovering that despite being 'done with the build', like me, you'll always be finding some improvement or modification to make, which means it's always an on-going project! :mrgreen:

For instance, a couple of weeks ago, I re-did the stomp grate on my boat, made heavier duty tines that don't free-float, when retracted, they bottom out against the leading edge of the ride plate. Reason I did that was because with the free-floating design, a rock or other object hitting the tines could easily swing them up into the duct, allowing the object to go to the impeller, especially considering the only thing holding it was the teleflex cable.

And before that, it was re-locating my water strainer from below deck, to the area right next to the seat, so I can immediately glance down and see the condition of the cooling system, and be able to detect a clog from mud, sand, hydrilla, etc.

Of course, if you're like me, these little mini-projects are simply a means of passing the time until, hopefully, one day, we build another jet boat, using the improvements done to the existing one over the course of its life, as a blueprint for an equally awesome boat at some point down the road.

Of course, if you're like me, these little mini-projects are simply a means of passing the time until, hopefully, one day, we build another jet boat, using the improvements done to the existing one over the course of its life, as a blueprint for an equally awesome boat at some point down the road.[/quote]

Some point is now.......you guys blow me away with your mods.....I still say its time for a twin engine jet. :lol:

bigwave said:
Some point is now.......you guys blow me away with your mods.....I still say its time for a twin engine jet. :lol:

I saw a build here online of a twin jet ski engine boat, he got as far as getting the engines in but I never saw any further progress.

PSG-1 said:
I think you're already discovering that despite being 'done with the build', like me, you'll always be finding some improvement or modification to make, which means it's always an on-going project! :mrgreen:

Of course, if you're like me, these little mini-projects are simply a means of passing the time until, hopefully, one day, we build another jet boat, using the improvements done to the existing one over the course of its life, as a blueprint for an equally awesome boat at some point down the road.

Yes, that is how I am looking at it now. The never ending fun of refining and making improvements will keep me going for a while!

bigwave said:

I agree! :mrgreen: I just wish I had the money to start a project like that, today, because I'd already be in the shop, plugging away at it.

Not sure what configuration, or what engine(s) I may use, but I already know I'm going to design it as a "fall line class jetboat"...meaning, a thicker hull, and UHMW on the hull, so it is capable of running above the fall line, where there are rocks, swift currents, etc.

What I REALLY need to build is a presentation grade boat, specifically for the purpose of taking it to boat shows, and marketing it. I could probably use my existing boat, but it's harder to use a 15 year old hull for marketing purposes, than it is a brand new hull.

painlesstom said:
PSG-1 said:

Yes, that is how I am looking at it now. The never ending fun of refining and making improvements will keep me going for a while!

And there are a LOT of different mods that can be made. Here's a few ideas:

On a Yamaha pump, you could run a wash-down hose system from the pressure fitting on the right side of your pump (the one that normally shoots the tell-tale stream of water about 10 feet in the air on jet skis) Then have a QC system with a little coil hose in the boat. Of course, you have to be underway for it to have enough pressure to spray any water, but it works good for a little pre-cleaning of the deck before you go home. If you check out my YouTube video 'trout fishing on the aluma-jet' you'll see me using the wash-down hose at the end of the video, heading back to port.

You could install a set of prow lights. Those are nice for nighttime running, or coming in to the dock or landing.

You could install a water strainer for some added peace of mind, and go ahead and put it in a visible location, like I finally did.

You could also install an OBM water PSI guage at the console, this gives you an instant visual reference as to the condition of your cooling system. Even if you never run over shoals, sand, etc, you'll find that in the fall months, leaves on the river's surface can play hell with your cooling system, especially at idle. Hydrilla is even worse, I really hate that stuff.

Speaking of clogs, they can sometimes be bad enough to foul the impeller. And with no way to reverse prop direction like with an OBM, you can't just 'spin it off' Only option there is a stomp grate. Basically making a set of stainless steel tines for your grate, with a pivot point on the front end, and using a teleflex push-pull cable to swing it up and down on the rear end. Cutting off the engine, and opening this grate will usually clear any clogs to the pump. You may be able to run without the need for a stomp grate, but if you ever decide you need one, I have pics of that on my boat, as well, for reference purposes.

Those are just a few ideas for starters. But you can see what I mean.

Even when it's "done", it's never really done. It's always a work in progress, like any custom project. :wink:

PSG-1 said:
You could install a water strainer for some added peace of mind, and go ahead and put it in a visible location, like I finally did.

You could also install an OBM water PSI guage at the console, this gives you an instant visual reference as to the condition of your cooling system. Even if you never run over shoals, sand, etc, you'll find that in the fall months, leaves on the river's surface can play hell with your cooling system, especially at idle. Hydrilla is even worse, I really hate that stuff.

Speaking of clogs, they can sometimes be bad enough to foul the impeller. And with no way to reverse prop direction like with an OBM, you can't just 'spin it off' Only option there is a stomp grate. Basically making a set of stainless steel tines for your grate, with a pivot point on the front end, and using a teleflex push-pull cable to swing it up and down on the rear end. Cutting off the engine, and opening this grate will usually clear any clogs to the pump. You may be able to run without the need for a stomp grate, but if you ever decide you need one, I have pics of that on my boat, as well, for reference purposes.

Those are just a few ideas for starters. But you can see what I mean.

Even when it's "done", it's never really done. It's always a work in progress, like any custom project. :wink:

I had thought about putting a PSI gauge on my Sea Ray with the Sport Jet 90, ended up just adding a pee tube instead. Having a gauge on the Jon would be really nice though. On the strainer, I'd like to see pics of that.

Would also be interested in seeing your stomp grate. I've just got the stock SeaDoo intake grate, which is plastic, and only three tines that wouldn't keep much out. I've been considering making, or just buying, another one that was aluminum and offered more protection from larger debris getting ingested. Incorporating a stomp grate into that would be a huge asset when the leaves are falling. I am very fortunate in that the Altamaha is a very clean river when it comes to rocks or grasses etc.. all of the debris comes from leaves, pine straw, and sticks. I would just like a grate that was closed enough to keep items large enough to damage the pump, from entering.

Start to finish build video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y93q2TQm8kA

Did a 10 mile round trip yesterday, and caught some nice Cats. You can see how the trailer and boat sit lower now too.

Attachments

• FrankenFish.jpg
    FrankenFish.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 1,265
  • FrankenFish1.jpg
    FrankenFish1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,265
  • FrankenJonTrailer.jpg
    FrankenJonTrailer.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 1,265
painlesstom said:
I had thought about putting a PSI gauge on my Sea Ray with the Sport Jet 90, ended up just adding a pee tube instead. Having a gauge on the Jon would be really nice though. On the strainer, I'd like to see pics of that.

No problem. Here ya go.....

Here you can see I've got it mounted to the starboard side of my seat.
100_0618.JPG

Initially I had it in the engine compartment, that meant having to pull the cowling every time I needed to clear the strainer. And not only that, but that was before having a PSI guage, which caused the Tigershark engine to run hot a few times (this could have also been an issue leading to its demise all those times)
Then, after installing the FXHO engine, with space so limited, I didn't want to have to dig in the engine compartment to clean the strainer, so, I moved it under the rear deck plate that covers the fuel tank. This still did not allow it to be easily accessed, or visible.

100_0619.JPG

As you can see, now, there's no problem accessing it, or cleaning it, either.

100_0620.JPG

Would also be interested in seeing your stomp grate. I've just got the stock SeaDoo intake grate, which is plastic, and only three tines that wouldn't keep much out. I've been considering making, or just buying, another one that was aluminum and offered more protection from larger debris getting ingested. Incorporating a stomp grate into that would be a huge asset when the leaves are falling. I am very fortunate in that the Altamaha is a very clean river when it comes to rocks or grasses etc.. all of the debris comes from leaves, pine straw, and sticks. I would just like a grate that was closed enough to keep items large enough to damage the pump, from entering.

Ok, here ya go:

100_0625.JPG

Here, you see the control handle (yes, that is made from bronze) in its downward position. When in this position, it extends the push-pull cable, which swings down the rear end of the grate, like so:

100_0626.JPG

100_0627.JPG

Those tines are made from 1/4 x 3/4" stainless flat bar. Notice how the back ends of the tines have a 'step' ground into them. This is to stop them against the leading edge of the intake duct, as shown in the next photo

100_0629.JPG

Note how the step hits the leading edge of the duct when the grate is retracted. This is in case of a rock, or other object striking the tines, they cannot possibly bend upward and allow the object to pass through the duct and hit the impeller, which could have catastrophic results.

Before this modification, the tines were shorter, they stopped short of the leading edge of the duct. And since there are only 2 1/4" stainless cross-bolts holding the tines together (one is a pivot, the other ties them together) you could see how a rock or other object could bend that bolt, allowing the tines to swing up, or even break loose, and pass through the impeller!

100_0628.JPG

And there's the handle in its upward, retracted position, which means the grate is closed. The control handle, as you can see is a simple lever, with a cross bolt and bracket, and then an attachment point for the control cable.

A couple of photos of the wash-down system:

100_0621.JPG

It's located to the port side of my rear seat

100_0622.JPG

This deck plate uses a QC system, which, when disconnected, shuts off the flow automatically. This fitting is connected to the tell-tale fitting on the right side of the Yamaha XL1200 pump (the one that normally is used to shoot the roostertail on jet skis)

100_0623.JPG

And here's the nozzle and coil hose for the washdown.

I like the screen filter and the wash down setups. Where did you get the QC and coiled hose? Looks very factory.

The grate looks like it would have some potential, not sure how just the grate moving would clear any debris though. I'm guessing you would shut the motor down, then work the grate handle to shake anything loose? I've seen other stomp grate systems where the articulating part of the grate was only half of the grate as a whole, that way if something became wedged between the tines, opening the grate would dislodge it.

On your PSI gauge, where did you plumb it in at? And, what is the pressure reading you get? I'm sure there would be a difference between the main exit flow, and what would be "seen" at the tell tale (pee tube), if you have one.

painlesstom said:
I like the screen filter and the wash down setups. Where did you get the QC and coiled hose? Looks very factory.

It's made by "Ocean Equipment" and I bought the deck plate and coil hose as a set, from West Marine. Normally, this would be hooked to a 12VDC pump, and a holding tank. But as I said, it can be hooked to the roostertail fitting on a Yamaha jet pump. You'll have to be on the throttle a little bit to actually have some flow, but that actually works good, as then you're planed out and the water will run off the deck, to the bilge, where it can be pumped overboard....that is, unless you've got a self-bailing deck, then it simply runs overboard. My next jetboat WILL have a self-bailing deck, I don't care if I have to jack it up 8-10 inches to make it happen, but it will be a self-bailer.

The grate looks like it would have some potential, not sure how just the grate moving would clear any debris though. I'm guessing you would shut the motor down, then work the grate handle to shake anything loose?

Correct. Shut down, swing the lever down, and wait a few seconds before retracting it and starting up. Sometimes it won't clear, and requires a few actuations of the lever to 'sweep' the grass off the tines. And if that fails, you'll actually need to crank the engine with the grate open, and hit the throttle briefly, allowing whatever grass, etc to go through and be chopped up, then retract the grate. That will most definitely clear the obstruction.

On your PSI gauge, where did you plumb it in at? And, what is the pressure reading you get? I'm sure there would be a difference between the main exit flow, and what would be "seen" at the tell tale (pee tube), if you have one.

It's placed between the pump and the engine. If you use a strainer, you want to make sure you have it on the engine side of the strainer, not the pump side. Reason being, if it's on the pump side, and the strainer gets clogged, the guage will continue to read pressure, even though no water is making it to the engine. If you have it on the engine side, then, the instant the strainer clogs, the PSI guage will indicate a loss of pressure.

To install, you'll have to cut the water line that goes from the pump the engine, install a T-fitting, with female NPT fittings. Then you'll install the correct size barb fittings for your cooling line. Then, you'll need to install a reducer to step it down from 1/2 NPT down to 1/8 NPT, then install the barb fitting for the pitot tube that runs to the guage.

You won't be able to get any readings on the tell tale side of the engine. Those are total loss pressure readings, and therefore, won't read any pressure at all. And if you try to restrict them, it could affect the engine's performance. So, you need to read on the pressure side of the system, like described above.

As for PSI readings, first let me say that the FXHO engine uses a 1.47:1 reduction gear for the driveline, so, my engine RPM's are higher than the actual pump RPM's. For instance, at 10K RPM, the pump's RPM is about 6800.

At around 7K RPM, (4,761 RPM at the pump) my PSI reads about 8-10. At 9K (6,122 pump RPM) it's around 12 PSI. And as I wind out to full throttle at 10K RPM (6,802 pump RPM) it's about 15 PSI.

It's important to note the readings at different RPM's (another reason for having a tach) This way, if there's ever an obstruction, etc, you'll know what the normal reading would be, and can shut down and inspect to find the trouble.

bigwave said:
Now that is what I am talking about.....nice catfish.

Thanks, not the biggest I've caught, or the most, but it was a good way to break it in and add to the "new boat smell"! lol

PSG-1 said:
It's made by "Ocean Equipment" and I bought the deck plate and coil hose as a set, from West Marine. Normally, this would be hooked to a 12VDC pump, and a holding tank. But as I said, it can be hooked to the roostertail fitting on a Yamaha jet pump. You'll have to be on the throttle a little bit to actually have some flow, but that actually works good, as then you're planed out and the water will run off the deck, to the bilge, where it can be pumped overboard....that is, unless you've got a self-bailing deck, then it simply runs overboard. My next jetboat WILL have a self-bailing deck, I don't care if I have to jack it up 8-10 inches to make it happen, but it will be a self-bailer.

Thanks for the info. I can see how you would be able to use the wash down system on yours since it's big enough to have a passenger to run the hose while you operate the boat. I suppose I could spray and drive at the same time, siphon bilge would be working then too. I would have to add a fitting to the pump to provide a supply source, Seadoo doesn't have the rooster tail fitting. With such a small boat though, I don't think it would be worth the effort in my case.

I am definitely going to be planning a stomp grate system in the future, for this boat and my Mokai.

painlesstom said:
Thanks for the info. I can see how you would be able to use the wash down system on yours since it's big enough to have a passenger to run the hose while you operate the boat. I suppose I could spray and drive at the same time, siphon bilge would be working then too.

That's how I do it, spray and drive. Obviously, you want to be on an open stretch of water with no obstructions or maneuvering required, so you're on plane, and you can do a little multi-tasking.

I can hose down most of the deck in my boat without getting out of my seat. What little bit I can't get, I don't worry about it, I take care of it when I get home. It's just nice to be able to hose off the bulk of the mud, etc while you're out on the water. My boat has 4 bilge pumps, including the siphon bilge, with a combined pumping ability of about 2700 GPH. If I had a self-bailing deck, I wouldn't be as overkill about the pumps as I am. But I like to be able to quickly de-water a boat.

I would have to add a fitting to the pump to provide a supply source, Seadoo doesn't have the rooster tail fitting. With such a small boat though, I don't think it would be worth the effort in my case.

All it is on the Yamaha pump, is a lug that's cast into the aluminum, with a hole drilled at a forward angle on the right side of the exit nozzle, with a piece of 1/2" stainless tubing press-fitted into the drilled hole. (As opposed to the siphon fitting, which is drilled at a rearward angle, and located on the left side) You could probably make a similar fitting for the sea doo pump.

Not sure if the exit nozzle is plastic, or aluminum. If it's plastic, you might be able to shape a piece of UHMW or similar plastic to form the lug, and epoxy that to the side of the exit nozzle, then place your tube through the hole, maybe even use a swaging tool on the inside end of the tube, to keep it from blowing out under pressure.

Because this is a pressure fitting, the tube does not have to protrude into the nozzle. With your suction fitting, in order to form the negative pressure, if you look at the nozzle, you'll see they extend that tube into the path of the flow, to create the venturi effect.

I am definitely going to be planning a stomp grate system in the future, for this boat and my Mokai.

If you check my aluma-jet thread, I show a picture from a sea doo jetboat service manual, it shows a diagram of the stomp grate system they use. Since you're using a sea-doo pump, a lot of the parts for the jetboat stomp grate may fit your pump with no modifications required. You'll still probably have to make the jam nut and socket system where the cable enters the top side of the pump tunnel, that is also shown on that thread.

When you get into actually building those grates, let me know if you need any tips or advice.

PSG-1 said:
My boat has 4 bilge pumps, including the siphon bilge, with a combined pumping ability of about 2700 GPH. If I had a self-bailing deck, I wouldn't be as overkill about the pumps as I am. But I like to be able to quickly de-water a boat.

Don't blame you there, I have the dual SeaDoo siphon pickups as well as a 800 gph 12v bilge pump. Can't have too much pumping ability!

All it is on the Yamaha pump, is a lug that's cast into the aluminum, with a hole drilled at a forward angle on the right side of the exit nozzle, with a piece of 1/2" stainless tubing press-fitted into the drilled hole. (As opposed to the siphon fitting, which is drilled at a rearward angle, and located on the left side) You could probably make a similar fitting for the sea doo pump.

Not sure if the exit nozzle is plastic, or aluminum. If it's plastic, you might be able to shape a piece of UHMW or similar plastic to form the lug, and epoxy that to the side of the exit nozzle, then place your tube through the hole, maybe even use a swaging tool on the inside end of the tube, to keep it from blowing out under pressure.

Because this is a pressure fitting, the tube does not have to protrude into the nozzle. With your suction fitting, in order to form the negative pressure, if you look at the nozzle, you'll see they extend that tube into the path of the flow, to create the venturi effect.

Would pretty simple to just drill and tap the pump for a brass NPT fitting too. I understand the physics of the venturi bilge. I developed, sell, and install a bilge system for the Mokai jet pump. I also improved on the pump's sealing and lubrication design so it will actually last, even machine replacement shafts for them. https://www.painlessclutch.com https://www.improvingyourmokai.com Those sites are me, if you are interested in seeing some of my work. My youtube channel for all my Mokai stuff -> https://www.youtube.com/user/ImprovingYourMokai?feature=watch

If you check my aluma-jet thread, I show a picture from a sea doo jetboat service manual, it shows a diagram of the stomp grate system they use. Since you're using a sea-doo pump, a lot of the parts for the jetboat stomp grate may fit your pump with no modifications required.

When you get into actually building those grates, let me know if you need any tips or advice.

I will go back and check that out later. Thanks again for the info. :mrgreen:

painlesstom said:
Would pretty simple to just drill and tap the pump for a brass NPT fitting too. I understand the physics of the venturi bilge. I developed, sell, and install a bilge system for the Mokai jet pump. I also improved on the pump's sealing and lubrication design so it will actually last, even machine replacement shafts for them. https://www.painlessclutch.com https://www.improvingyourmokai.com Those sites are me, if you are interested in seeing some of my work. My youtube channel for all my Mokai stuff -> https://www.youtube.com/user/ImprovingYourMokai?feature=watch

If you can do all of that, then, making the modification for the pressure fitting shouldn't be an issue at all for you! :mrgreen: I suspect the stomp grate modification will be pretty easy for you, as well, considering your fabrication and machining skills.

The biggest challenge of the stomp grate is using the correct grommet system to clamp the cable through the pump tunnel, and not leaking with the water pressure force at 35 MPH. Mine works flawlessly, but that's because it's a copy of the system used by sea-doo, and also utilizes a few actual sea doo parts, such as the cable clamps, rubber grommet, and threaded end fitting that the grate attaches to.

Yeah, I'll tackle the grate project and possibly the wash down system, once I've recharged from the build. Will be spending some time with it on the water to see what I want, or need, before diving into more mods just yet. The stomp grate will probably be a project for next year when I have leaves to worry about, the river here will be clean until then.

Logged 25 miles today and got some fishing in, ran great. I will be relocating the bilge pickup further back, with a different strainer design, so it evacuates more water. Every time I switch back up to the front seat, the bow dips lower than the stern and I end up with water around me feet. It's not much, just the water that comes in from landing fish or me getting in, but I'd like to have more of that sucked out while I'm en route to my next spot.

I also "rebuilt" the Attwood anchor crank with some beefier internal hardware, and lengthened the handle for more leverage. Works perfectly now. I didn't take the video cam out today, but next time I'll get some video to show how it works.

Love this boat, the looks I get from everyone while I'm out are priceless. 8)

Sorry, I didn't get any pics. There was a bolt that held the handle to the spool, it was only a #10 size and couldn't handle the load. So I drilled out the cone washers on each end and put a much larger bolt with a 5/16 body and 1/4-20 thread end, and assembled everything with lots of grease. Then I lengthened the handle by 2".

My anchor weighs in at 12 lbs, I can crank that up easily now. Hitting a snag doesn't cause a problem now either, I can let some rope back out and work the rope by hand till I free the anchor, then I finish cranking it up. There are no bearings in the design so I don't know how long it will last, only time will tell, but I think it's going to work out ok.

I'd like to know if there is any difference in design between the Attwood brand, and the Worth. They look similar in appearance, the Worth is more expensive though, maybe the internals are better designed?

painlesstom said:
Yeah, I'll tackle the grate project and possibly the wash down system, once I've recharged from the build. Will be spending some time with it on the water to see what I want, or need, before diving into more mods just yet.

I know exactly what you mean. A build like this can wear you down a little bit, especially if you're putting in a lot of late nights and trying to get it done ASAP. Like you said, run with it for a while, and as you do, through some trial and error, you'll get some ideas for other things that need to be done to fine-tune it, or other mods that are nice to have. My advice with any mods is not to be hasty like I've been known for doing, think carefully about the best layout for something before doing it. Otherwise, if you do like me and just throw it together, you won't be happy with it, and you'll be right back to having to change it.

The stomp grate will probably be a project for next year when I have leaves to worry about, the river here will be clean until then.

Around September or October, the grate will come in very useful. But you're right, here in the southeast, most of the rivers are clean until the fall.

Logged 25 miles today and got some fishing in, ran great. I will be relocating the bilge pickup further back, with a different strainer design, so it evacuates more water. Every time I switch back up to the front seat, the bow dips lower than the stern and I end up with water around me feet. It's not much, just the water that comes in from landing fish or me getting in, but I'd like to have more of that sucked out while I'm en route to my next spot.

Which strainer are you using now? Factory, or something else? If you're not using a factory-type strainer, get a Yamaha bilge strainer and mount it in the very back corner of the bilge, where the floor meets the transom.

The other problem with drainage in jetboats is that because of the jet pump tunnel, when water runs to the stern, the tunnel acts like a divider, some of the water goes to the starboard side of the tunnel, and some runs to the port side. So, unless you have a bilge on BOTH sides, you can never keep all the water pumped out. (I suspect that's why you're getting some water in your boat) This is why I have my 1100 and my 800 GPH pumps on the starboard side of the tunnel in my boat, and then the suction strainer on the port side, for any water that the other pumps don't take out.

Love this boat, the looks I get from everyone while I'm out are priceless. 8)

Indeed! If it's anything like my experience with my boat, people almost break their necks staring as it whizzes by, with a puzzled look on their face like "where's the motor on that thing?" It's always fun to race them, too. Anytime I go inland, I always see somebody in one of those little fast crafts or bug buster type boats with a souped-up outboard, and I always enjoy running alongside them.

Not just inland, but here, as well. We've got a guy out here with one of those go-devil surface drives on his boat, he thinks he owns the creek at low tide because of where it can go. Correction, he THOUGHT he owned the creek, until I blasted by him one day, passed him like he was sitting still, then went 100 yards up the creek from him, did a 180 spin at 30 MPH, and blasted back by him. The look on his face, and his passenger's faces was great, wish I'd had my camera for that one! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

Latest posts