Jig fishing rod?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albright1695

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced rod for jig fishing? Im looking at a 7ft heavy action. Is a high speed reel best for flippin and pitchin? Ive always heard it was to get the lure in quickly and make another pitch,so thats what ive always used. What line do you guys use when fishing a jig?

I fish my jigs on 7'6" heavy with a fast tip. I have 3 that i like.The long rod also allows you to pick up slack line in a hurry and helps the hookset.
the one I have been using more and more is a Powell It coat me 169.99 and is a very sensitive and light.
I do use a high speed reel A dawia zillion 6.3 to 1 i feel i am able to get the fish out of the structure or if they swim towards me i can pick up line in a hurry.
As far as line any time you ask that question it comes down to a popularity contest.
Braid has no stretch and will allow you to feel everything.
floro has no stretch and sinks fast and is clear in water . BUT you have to be careful while tying the knot because if not done right it will break on the hookset.
both will work well for flipping jigs.
I like to use 15 to 17 lb izore line I have never had trouble getting fish out of heavy weeds or brush piles with it. it has great knot strength.

I have a 7'6 MH extreme combo from bps with a 6.3 to 1 flipping reel. I wouldnt worry about getting a high speed reel.. its on average only another 4 inches per handle turn.. you won't be getting many extra pitches in throughout the day :wink:

i would try the BPS nitro rod. It is specially made for fliipin and pitchin. and the revo s has a good retrieve ratio,is somewhat light, and has a great drag pressure so those big ones cant over power you. Also I like to use 30 - 60 lbs power pro braid. this setup would be a verylight,sensitive, and afordable combo, and if you go to bass pro shops within times of the spring classic you can get a good deal on the reel with the reel trade in event.

Latest posts