JIGS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For heavy cover, i.e., flipping/pitching I have a 7' 2" extra heavy Bass Pro Nitro rod with a Daiwa Tierra and 50 lb Spiderwire Invisibraid.

For smaller jigs and lighter cover I have a 6' 6" medium heavy St Croix Legend Tournament rod with a Shimano Calais DC and 30 lb Power pro braid.

Finally, I have a 6 ' 9" medium heavy Bass Pro Carbonlite rod with an extra fast tip, Bass Pro Johnny Morris Sinature baitcast reeel and 14 lb mono that I will sometimes use when jigging in open water.

My favourite jig colour is definitely black/blue/purple with a craw or lizard trailer.

Jim said:
Start out light in my opinion 1/4 ounce with a trailer. Then move up as you start to get the "jig Bite feel". Which is hard to explain. :LOL2:

I'm with Jim.

I really like Boyaah jigs or Strike King.

This is my main flipping setup, a Shimano Castiac spooled w/ 50lb Sufix braid & a 7'2'' W&M Skeet Reese Jig/Worm rod. I stick w/ booyah or strike king 1/4oz-3/8oz jigs. Rarely I'll throw a 1/2oz. I'll mainly use a yum big show craw as a trailer but also use the sk baby rage or the tail section of a zoom lizard, depending on what color jig I'm throwing. I mainly stick to blue/black jigs w/ black/blue or blue/purple trailers but also flip green or brown jigs too in clearer water.
S6004268.jpg

:twisted: Its a good idea to start using them. I mainly "pitch" with them. Both rods are 7'6" Daiwa with a TD-Zillion reel/50lb braid. For open water I use a 7'Daiwa L&T with TD-Zillion/14lb mono. Lures are usually 3/8-1/2 oz. with Zoom chunk trailer. I usually like darker colors but really anyone will catch them. Good Luck and stick with them.

Attachments

• Co-op.jpg
    Co-op.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • davis_mill_bass_176.jpg
    davis_mill_bass_176.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • cedarville_bigun_211.jpg
    cedarville_bigun_211.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • MaryElmerLake005-7.jpg
    MaryElmerLake005-7.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,048
Just bought my new jig rod today... 7'MH carbonlite with a quantum catalyst. I started out using a 7'6 MH, which I liked for a lot of reasons, but I couldn't sidearm cast with it, so its on an early retirement.

I use 3/8 oz swimjigs most of the time, because I can fish them slow, or speed it up when necessary. V&M and SK make nice ones.

dyeguy1212 said:
Just bought my new jig rod today... 7'MH carbonlite with a quantum catalyst. I started out using a 7'6 MH, which I liked for a lot of reasons, but I couldn't sidearm cast with it, so its on an early retirement.

I use 3/8 oz swimjigs most of the time, because I can fish them slow, or speed it up when necessary. V&M and SK make nice ones.

You were serious about switching to carbonlite rods, eh?

yeah im sick of being stiff as hell after a day on the water... I caught a 4.35 pounder on a 7'M last night, and the rod didn't break a sweat, so I'm confident I can mug anything foolish enough to bite my jig with a 7MH... (pics to come, waiting for my coangler to email me them... was the big bass of the tourney worth 68 bucks)

dyeguy1212 said:
yeah im sick of being stiff as hell after a day on the water... I caught a 4.35 pounder on a 7'M last night, and the rod didn't break a sweat, so I'm confident I can mug anything foolish enough to bite my jig with a 7MH... (pics to come, waiting for my coangler to email me them... was the big bass of the tourney worth 68 bucks)

What did you catch him on? A jig? What color?

I use a 7'6" Kistler Helium LTA with a quantum accurist PT reel. Almost always use #20 flourocarbon. Setup is light, strong, and sensitive.

Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:

What did you catch him on? A jig? What color?

wasn't a jig, I was just saying it because I caught a biggun on a M rod, so I really have faith in the carbonlites

dyeguy1212 said:

In addition, I go with bluegill colors most of the time. I feel those colors come close to craw colors as well. I don't really care which the fish thinks it is, as long as it bites.

dyeguy1212 said:
dyeguy1212 said:

In addition, I go with bluegill colors most of the time. I feel those colors come close to craw colors as well. I don't really care which the fish thinks it is, as long as it bites.

loaded up on some jigs at lunch at bps.

I use a lot of green pumpkin and brown jigs around here. The green pumpkin jigs have produced the most for me. I use zoom chunks or berkeley powerbait crazy legs chigger craw.

Latest posts