Jimmy T's Buzzbaits! Part I (Initial Observations)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMDave

Reaction score
Lure: Jimmy's Buzzbait
Lure Type: Buzzbait
Color: Black (silver blade and chrome hook)
Size: 3/8 oz.

Just recieved Jim's buzzbaits in the mail, so haven't gotten to try them out yet, but I WILL DO A FURTHER REVIEW WHEN I DO GET TO TEST THEM OUT! Sorry if that seemed annoying. So the lures I compared Jimmy's buzzbaits to were: A Strike King bleeding bait series buzzbait (chartreuse white/silver blade), and a Booyah Bait Co. Booyah Buzz (black/black blade and silver clacker). All lures (including Jim's) were in the 3/8 oz. weight. First test: I used a Tangent Mini-Scale of my Dad's to see the real difference in lure weight. I only weighed the head/wire connection portion to the end of the hook. Here are the results:

Booyah Buzz: 15.1 grams
Strike King: 12.7 grams
Jimmy's Buzzbait: 12.4

As you can see, the Booyah Buzz is a teensy wincy bit heavier than the Strike King and Jimmy's bait, which may or may not influence you're thinking (a gram is a really small measurement, but if you are looking for something that's easier to fish slow, I would go with Jimmy's buzzbait!).

Jigheads:
The Strike King is a piece of crap, the head is just a block of lead with a flat head and a shovel shaped head. The Booyah Buzz has an amazing head, with a natural baitfish head shape, 3-D red, bulging eyes, and flaring red gills, along with some scale etching. Jimmy's is even more amazing. Althought the head shape isn't quite as natural, fish can't tell the difference when looking up. Jimmy's buzzbait has a flat bottom of the head, which actually should help with lift, so you can fish it slower, and also will provide a bulkier sillhouette when a bass is looking up so those are two advantages over traditional buzzbait heads. Jimmy's buzzbait also has the big, bulging, 3-D red eyes, flaring gills, scale etching, AND with something extra. Miniscule red flakes/glitter all throughout the head which should be deadly on sunny days and even low-light situations as the sun hits the red flecks, the bass will see flashes of red, and I am a firm believer the color red makes bass want to take the lure even more! The wires on the Booyah Buzz and Jimmy's buzzbait are both of equiviallant length, and are thicker than the Strike King's wire. The arms of the wires are also MUCH longer than the short-armed Strike King.

Hooks: Both hooks are VERY sharp. I think that Jimmy's hook is actually sharper than the Booyah's, it seems almost sticky. The Booyah however has a red hook. Jimmy's buzzbaits compensate for this because of the red flake in the head and the super sharp hook however. Also, I have a pack of red trailer hooks I use so the main hook color doesn't really matter to me.

Skirts:
Strike King is alright, nothing fancy, but I like the Booyah's Buzz the most out of Jimmy's and the Strike King's. It is the most bulky and remains somewhat bulky (bulkier than the other two) in water. But Jimmy's and Booyah's buzzbaits both have about the same number of strands (no difference when looked at, I will have to count them). Jimmy's buzzbait strands seem to be more straight than the Booyah's Buzz. You will see in the following pictures.

All three buzzbaits do their job, but if I had to pick one out of pure observation, it would be Jimmy's because of the red glitter in the head, and the flat bottom of the jighead. The head is also longer, and the eyes/gills seem to flare out more. The Booyah's also, as good as they look, track to the right side when retrieved at high speeds, so the jighead is parallel to the blade on it's side. I don't know about Jimmy's but I will let you know when I test them out. I will also add sound, wake, and other elements with my first outing with these lures (which will most likely not be this weekend, as my sister is coming home from college). But when I do get out, I will use Jimmy's buzzbait and do a much more In-Depth review of these lures.

Here are some pictures: Jimmy's buzzbait is usally first, then the other black buzzbait with a black blade is Booyah's, and finally the Chartreuse/White buzzbait is the Strike King Bleeding Bait series. All are 3/8 oz. Notice the difference in the skirts and the jigheads (the red flakes in Jimmy's aren't very noticible in the picture, but you can see them very well in real life). Another great product Jim! Look forward to a part II!

Attachments

• buzzbait1.jpg
    buzzbait1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 615
  • Buzzbait2.jpg
    Buzzbait2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 615
  • Jigheadcompare.jpg
    Jigheadcompare.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 615
  • BooyahVs.Jim.jpg
    BooyahVs.Jim.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 615
Wow! Pretty cool thast you took the time to compare the ones I made to store purchased ones. Here is the problem. I was going to buy a bunch to pass out to the members, but the company I purchased those heads from, can no longer get those buzzbait heads :cry: