jon boat overhaul

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a lot accomplished on the build this weekend and the thing is getting close to finished. The carpeting and hatches were time consuming.

3-16-2008071.jpg

3-16-2008055.jpg

3-16-2008057.jpg

I had starting making the hatches with 1/2-inch plywood and with the carpet stapled underneath them they were higher than the 1/2-inch plywood decking. I scrapped the ones I had done and used 3/8-inch and they ended up being flush when they were installed. You can see the discarded ones shoved up in the front storage area. Maybe I'll sell them on ebay. :lol:

3-16-2008052.jpg

3-16-2008053.jpg

3-16-2008059.jpg

3-16-2008063.jpg

3-16-2008056.jpg

I may end up putting in a removable cross brace under the large double hatch if the 3/8 is not sturdy enough. I went simple with the hatch pulls. It is just nylon strap staple underneath an on the edge so it can't fold under. It works good and was free.

3-16-2008073.jpg

The sidewalls in the center area will be finished out with a carpeted piece of 1/4-inch plywood. I have one side cut but ran out of steam before cutting the 2nd.

3-16-2008065.jpg

3-16-2008072.jpg

The next step will be wiring which is already underway. I will also need to tackle the front aluminum deck. It had carpet on before. It was that shaggy marine carpet and it was nasty. I ripped it off and now have to deal with the liquid nails type glue the former owner used. I would like to rivet a piece of aluminum diamond tread on top but that way outside of the wife imposed budget. I'll probably get is smoothed down and recarpet it.

3-16-2008078.jpg

3-16-2008080.jpg

I just went real slow doing the carpet to try and avoid screw ups. I managed to not cut any pieces with the carpet grain running the wrong way. Changing blades in the razor knife I found was very important. I will probably shed a few tears when I get the first shad guts ground into the carpet.

I used 2x4's to get the height I needed off of the benches. I also used 2x2's and 2x3' where I could to save on weight. The brackets were all simpson strong-ties from home depot.

looken good

the sides that your doing with the 1/4 inch board could ya get a snap shot of that over it looking down?? or a finished shot like it??

I'm thanken of doing that as well but, I'm not satisfied of the finished look.

kinda figuring how big of a gap it may be at the top looking down?

FishingBuds said:
looken good

the sides that your doing with the 1/4 inch board could ya get a snap shot of that over it looking down?? or a finished shot like it??

I'm thanken of doing that as well but, I'm not satisfied of the finished look.

kinda figuring how big of a gap it may be at the top looking down?

3-23-2008084.jpg

3-23-2008087.jpg

3-23-2008088.jpg

3-23-2008091.jpg

The sides turned out really good. I fastened them to the ribs using 1" stainless steel panhead screws with stainless finishing washers. There is no gap at all between the top of the board and the side of the boat. It makes the boat look a lot more finished out.

The boat is now in upside down mode. I put the mass of people that were at our house for Easter lunch to work getting it flipped and on sawhorses. I am stripping the paint and am going to put Steel-Flex Epoxy on the bottom. That is the stuff that is put on airboats in Florida and used on mud-motor boats. It will seal all the rivets and make the bottom indestructible (almost).

3-23-2008133.jpg

3-23-2008140.jpg

I am using Kleen-Strip Aircraft Remover to get the paint off. The surface needs to be down to bare metal.

3-23-2008135.jpg

The stuff is working pretty good so far. We'll see how long this takes.

The steel-flex will be tinted with olive drab green. I'm not going to paint the rest of the boat. The paint job, by previous owner, is still in good shape. I will also duck hunt out of this boat so there may be some camo pattern added at some point.

esquired said:
Looking like you are moving along.

Did you have Aircraft stuck to your boat?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought that name was a little wierd too. Kind of like one of those english-to chinese-back to english translated product names.

Latest posts