jon boat overhaul

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tompatt said:
wat type of brackets did u use?
I didn't have to use any brackets for the sides. The boards laid flush with the ribs that ran up the sides. They are screwed directly to the ribs.

Ouachita said:
tompatt said:
I didn't have to use any brackets for the sides. The boards laid flush with the ribs that ran up the sides. They are screwed directly to the ribs.

lol. i meant for the front deck. Srry. :D

tompatt said:
Ouachita said:
tompatt said:

I used Simpson Strong-Tie brackets from Lowes or HD. They are galvanized so they aren't in direct contact with the aluminum anywhere on the boat. Here's a link to the item at Lowes. https://tinyurl.com/34kjxh
I used different types. Just spent alot of time staring at the wall of brackets visualizing what I was trying to accomplish.

Ouachita said:
tompatt said:
Ouachita said:

I used Simpson Strong-Tie brackets from Lowes or HD. They are galvanized so they aren't in direct contact with the aluminum anywhere on the boat. Here's a link to the item at Lowes. https://tinyurl.com/34kjxh
I used different types. Just spent alot of time staring at the wall of brackets visualizing what I was trying to accomplish.

ok kool. i just got my license today. im gonna go drive around. :D :D

tholdah said:
What did you do to get the glue off of the aluminum before your recarpeted?
I haven't starting recarpeting the front deck area yet. I am going to try to use a large razor blade (4") scraper and possibly some glue remover if I can't get it smoothed out enough. The simplest thing may be to cut a piece of 1/4" ply to fit the deck, carpet that and bolt it down.

Well, I got the steel-flex applied to the hull this week. It is a two part epoxy that I tinted olive drab green. This thing is now totally sealed and should not leak a drop. There was about 1/4 inch of the stuff dried in a plastic paint mixing tub and I tried pounding thru it with the end of a screwdriver and it would it only put a few tiny nicks in it. That is before it even totally cured! I took pics but we had a niece born this afternoon and my wife ran off with the camera. Hopefully pics will be posted late this evening or tomorrow. :D

Here are pictures of the steel-flex

4-5-2008014.jpg

4-5-2008015.jpg

The boat is stripped to bare aluminum (as close as I could get), sanded with 60 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface and wiped with acetone.

4-5-2008017.jpg

I only mixed up a quart at a time to put on the boat. The stuff will set up in 20-30 minutes in the tub after mixed so I didn't want to have to rush. I would just pour out a line on the boat and spread it with a 4" roller. I was working by myself so I don't have any exciting action shots.

4-5-2008020.jpg

4-5-2008020.jpg

4-5-2008024.jpg

4-5-2008032.jpg

The color ended up considerably darker than I thought it would. I guess my boat is not quite as olive drab as I thought. The closeups don't do it justice but it is like the bottom of the boat is heat shrinked.

4-5-2008025.jpg

4-5-2008027.jpg

Looks good. Could you paint over the epoxy if you wanted to? Does the epoxy come in any other colors?

stew6371 said:
Could you paint over the epoxy if you wanted to? Does the epoxy come in any other colors?
Not sure if it is paintable. The colors that show to be available on the pigment jar label are olive drab green, flat green, phalo green?, black, white, grey, phalo blue?, hialeah blue?, flat blue, brown, beige, yellow, flat red. I ordered the neutral that can be pigmented. It also comes in clear and white.

I have made some progress and have most of the wiring completed. I used an electrical junction box from HD as my switch box.

052.jpg

I have a 3-way pull switch for my nav lights and 3 toggles for bilge, red deck lighting and one yet to be used which will either be for docking lights or another deck light in the bow. The bow deck light would probably be better if the switch is up front.

045.jpg

my deep cycle trolling battery runs all the lights, bilge and the TM if I decide to mount it back.

043.jpg

the marine starting battery on the port side starts the motor and will run the yet to be purchased fish finder

060-1.jpg

Here is a view of the beast finally unleashed from the garage

Thanks everyone.
flounderhead59 said:
Box looks good... 'cept it's crooked :lol:
That comment actually made me go out into the garage this morning and confirm it is not crooked. I'm a little obsessive. :lol: