Kinkaid Lake, Southern Illinois 13th Annual 17th Street Tour

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseball_guy_99

Reaction score
5/21/11
Cloudy then sunny
Water temps 65-71
Air temps 75-85
Water---muddy

Just like we have done for the last 12 years, me and my Dad fished the 17th street bar and grill tournament put on by a local pro, Luke Estel. This is the 13th year we have fished it and have taken 2nd place one time.

This year we had a good feeling because my dad was on some big bass pre-fishing in the muddy water with a white spinner bait.

We took off 21/75 boats. Got to our spot and started fishin...on my 3rd cast I had a bass blow up on my Ribbit Frog. Got it to the boat and as my dad put the net down to get it, it came off. Not a good way to start things off...I caught a few more short fish on the frog but no keepers. My dad was managing several short ones on his spinner bait but again no keepers.

So we picked up and moved spots. He kept throwing his white spinner bait and kept catching short ones. I switched over a black and blue sweet beaver and picked up 2 short ones on my 1st two casts. Fished it for a little while longer and finally set the hook into a decent fish. It made a short run and then came to the surface and jumped (looked to be about a 3lber) as it came back down into the water my line went slack...no more fish!

We continued fishing with not much action...picking up a few short fish here and there. About an hour before weigh in we moved to a spot that I had caught some fish earlier in the year on a crank bait. Pulled up and landed 3 short ones in the first three casts. I was throwing a Bomber Fat Free Fingerling in the sexy shad color 6-8ft diver. So my dad tied on a Strike King crank bait that looked identical to the Bomber. I was catching short fish left and right as we hopped points and he was catching zilch! (This makes me a believer in the brand of baits makes a difference. the only reason I bought the strike kings were because they were 2.99 where as the Bombers were 4.99. But I will not cheap out any more).

We made our way to a secondary point that was an old road bed. By this time my dad had tied on a bomber crank bait just in a different color and was catching fish now. We were both catching a short fish just about every cast off of this point. About 10minutes before weigh in my dad set the hook and told me to get the net. He brought the fish up to the boat and it made a turn and went under the boat. It came flying back out from under the boat and jumped (I would guess it to be in the 5-6lb range) and his line broke! So we sucked up our losses and went to the weigh in fishless...

I would guess we caught between 40 and 50 bass in the last hour of fishing and they were all in the 10-12" range. There were stacked on every point.

It took just over 16lbs to win and the guys said they caught their fish on the beds (I have no idea how they could have seen them because the water was like chocolate milk!) 2nd place was right at 15lbs and they caught their fish on a scum frog guarding fry. Big bass was 5.5lbs caught by the winners.

Sorry no pictures...I was too busy fishing haha.

Good report, too bad no pics, but seems like the pics would all be no keepers. Too bade about the missed big ones.

Lots of fish caught, hope you do bigger ones next time :)