LEGALITIES!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joshrbarker said:
Our systems are unlike any others..

Our Secretary of State office is the exact same thing... car, boat, atv's, trailers, etc. all at the same place :wink:

Our government seems confusing all the time. And because it is a commonwealth you can't really do much about it. If a state trooper rams your vehicle in a car chase (not the vehicle running! this is just a wildly random example) you can't hold them responsible because any action taken against the state they consider it action against everyone in the state, yourself included. It's strange, and taxes are high. But it's a beautiful state, I love it!

joshrbarker said:
Here's the story. A friend of mine fished a 14' jon boat out of the river about 2 years ago. Now it's in my back yard. What do I do? I want to do it right and legal. Also if it belonged to someone who is still aching over their lost boat I would want to reunite them with it. I mean I'm really excited about the idea of building this boat and having it to run the waterways with, but do not need any bad kharma following me around either! All I can make out is the HID, the registration numbers are so far gone I can only really make out the state. Any help greatly appreciated.

While I salute your integrity I say, you'll drive yourself insane dealing with the inept melonheads at the state & local government agencies trying to track it's previous owner down. Save yourself the headaches & just go to the DMV & try to register it in your name. Be honest & tell them it was a salvage & that the registration numbers are un-readable. Afterall we're talking a jon boat here not a Lund Walleye fishing boat, speed boat or a cabin cruiser. I HIGHLY doubt you're going to see a fine or jail time or even be reported (plus you have a witness-your friend). And I know you were talking about "bad karma on the water" but, what if the guy has already collected the insurance $$ on the boat & he decides to "have his cake & eat it too" by keeping it? Then your SOL. Btw was there anything wrong with the boat (I.e. damages)?
Good luck.

Make 2 stops:
First to the police department with the ID number to see if there were any reports of it being stolen. If no reports were filed then the second step is to stop in to the local Clerk of Courts or whatever office handles license and registration with the ID number you have from the boat which can be used to contact the last known owner. The state should have salvage laws, which you follow and use to your benefit stating you made reasonable attempts to contact the previous owner (sometimes as simple as a single certified letter).

It may be possible the person wants it back, in which case you can use the law to charge storage fees if you choose, and if they refuse to pay then they need to sign a paper refusing to pay and legally signing over all rights of the property to you.

Usually after a specific timeframe (30, 60 or 90 days) without any response from the owner, it legally becomes yours to do as you wish, but make sure you have copies of all legal paperwork for this situation on hand. Since it has been in your possession for 2 years now, it may already be legally yours and you just need to pay for a new title and registration, but check the law to make sure. Usually at that point you get a salvage title which essentially makes it yours and re-establishes a normal title in your name.

I have heard of a few cases where people came back months or years later to claim "their" property but since it already went through the salvage and legal system, they have zero power over it anymore... but for that same reason, keep equipment that may be stolen out of it when parked, keep a lock on the trailer hitch and another lock on the boat to trailer or post or something for at least 2 or 3 years just to be safe (if they have your home address or location of the boat).

Latest posts