Little Help Needed Identifying Attachments on Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsongg

Reaction score
I'm tearing down my new to me boat preparing for restoration and I have a couple items attached to the hull that I don't know what they are or what they went to.

The first picture looks like it is a thru-hull fitting for I don't know what that has since been filled with sealant, but still leaks. It is located on the starboard side of the bottom, about 8 inches forward of the transom.

The second picture is a stainless fitting for something that is thru-bolted to the upper port side of the transom on the outside of the boat.

Would love to know what they are and if I need them before I start my restoration thread.

Attachments

• 100_0346.JPG
    100_0346.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 100_0347.JPG
    100_0347.JPG
    775.2 KB · Views: 1,244
the first one i wanna say is the drain...(depends on brand and age of boat and if there is a drain somewhere else)... i have an old boat laying around here that has that kind of drain... im guessing they lost the plug and tried to patch it....the plug for mine is lost to but i think its pipe threads and a pipe plug will work..

the second looks like some kind of old school gas line vent..not sure why its there....i would say its definitely no longer needed...

The second one may be an anchor for remote steering. I am saying this more based on location than on the appearance of the part.

Sam

Thanks for the replies guys. The boat brand is Meyer. I'm not sure if it was manufactured with the fitting in the bottom or if it was added. I it didn't leak, I would probably just leave it alone. But since it does, what is the best way to repair it? Picture ???? below is what the fitting looks like from inside the boat. Leave the fitting in, pull it out and patch it?

Since I'm bringing up things on the boat that puzzle me, the second and third pictures below are of the only drain hole in the transom. There is no drain on the centerline of the transom. Does this have something to do with the previously mentioned bottom fitting?

Attachments

• 100_0377.JPG
    100_0377.JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 100_0378.JPG
    100_0378.JPG
    870.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 100_0375.JPG
    100_0375.JPG
    994.8 KB · Views: 1,201
My dad has an old Meyers and I think the drain plug is in the bottom and looks like the one shown in your pics. I will look at it this weekend and post what I find. That scoop would be to help the boat drain while under way. It creates suction to pull the water out.

sam

im 99.9% sure its the drain hole... my old boat in the yard has one like it...

the other hole....hmm...maybe they were making a new drain??

the fitting... i looked again, i didnt realize when i first looked that its on the inside...i have no clue what that is...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324370#p324370 said:
sams » Yesterday, 21:17[/url]"]My dad has an old Meyers and I think the drain plug is in the bottom and looks like the one shown in your pics. I will look at it this weekend and post what I find. That scoop would be to help the boat drain while under way. It creates suction to pull the water out.

Thanks Sam. I look forward to knowing what you find.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324406#p324406 said:
marshman » Today, 00:31[/url]"]im 99.9% sure its the drain hole... my old boat in the yard has one like it...

the other hole....hmm...maybe they were making a new drain??

the fitting... i looked again, i didnt realize when i first looked that its on the inside...i have no clue what that is...

Marshman,

The first picture in my second post is indeed (maybe I should have labeled the pics) a pic of what the bottom fitting looks like from the inside of the boat. I'm not sure what is stuck into it that seems to be rusting. But I'm thinking that I need to either: try to clean out the existing fitting; replace the fitting; or remove the fitting and patch it with a piece of aluminum. If I do the last of the three, I will need to create a drain on the transom on the centerline where most boats have them.

The other hole in the transom seems kind of worthless, but I could be wrong and it has a purpose.

Any opinions on what you guys would do?

grind the rivets, take it out, patch the hole with a piece of aluminum , and get a fitting like mentioned on the other drain plug thread and put it in the transom...

thats what i would do...

to patch, cut out a piece of aluminum bigger than the hole, at least an inch or 2 all around, scuff sand everything all around the hole and the patch....use a good 2 part epoxy....locktite makes a pretty decent one, jb weld makes one, but an industrial supply store would have some thats better...(i live and work in the land of heavy industry, so industrial supply stores are all over) put the patch down to where it overlaps evenly all around, and set a full paint can or cinder block on it while it cures overnight or longer..... later fill the patch in from the outside to make it flush using the regular jb weld like you would use bondo on a car...give that a day or 2 to cure and you can sand it smooth.... patch may not last a lifetime, but it will last for a good while...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324467#p324467 said:
marshman » Today, 13:23[/url]"]grind the rivets, take it out, patch the hole with a piece of aluminum , and get a fitting like mentioned on the other drain plug thread and put it in the transom...

The patch seems easy enough, but I'm not sure which drain plug thread you are talking about.